Carter AFB stumble

-
there are three holes in the lever that works the pump. The most outside hole is the smallest shot, the most near the carb body is the biggest shot. Look where it is now and go from there.....

Michael

Is this a old Chrysler AFB or Carter performance series AFB or and Edelbrock AFB?
Do you know any of the jetting, metering rods sizes, 2 or 3 stage rod, proper metering caps flat or raised?
360 Duster explained the acc pump adjustment, but you also need to look at the fuel shot to make sure it is a nice steady stream.

I just read the bottom hole gives more pump. If that's true than maybe that will fix it..mine is set in top hole.

The hole closest to the fulcrum point is most likely where you want it. Farther away the pump shot is shorter. The pump. Luster may also be changed out. There sold in a 3 pack. 1 smaller, 2 larger than what came stock.

Make sure there's no slop in the linkage.

Car is to lean , poss jet change , rods , that is what i had to do to my dart .I tried everything else , onced i changed jets and rods, and went to an orange spring. gone!! but i had to buy a recalibration kit here, could not purchase individual parts.

If this is a very old Carter afb with a S link to the accelerator pump. The pump bore may be the problem. That S link pushes the plunger at an angle and wears the top of the bore egg shaped. Result is a slight delay and shorter shot.

Bottom hole for pump shot is the ticket. 95% cured off the line. Now I need a msd dizzy that works well to get the ping out.

Looks like a 9636. It also looks like the pump piston is fairly high up in the carb body. If it is raised too high the pump piston will be above the slot in the carb body and it will not be able to develop pressure. You want the pump to just bottom out at WOT, but that's it. You can delay the pump shot if it's too high.

So, look at the squirters as you cycle the throttle by hand. The pump should begin discharging immediately. If they do, try going up 2 numbers on the main jet, stiffer springs, etc. If they don't start squirting immediately, make the link rod as long as possible (flatten the bend) without the pump bottoming out.

Keep in mind too much pump shot can also cause a stumble.

Thanks I will try this. I increased acc pump shot but have not addressed the squirters. The pump shot increase helps when I go wot off line but when I leave slow it still stumbles.

they made 3 squirters .024, .033, .039 doubt making a change here will have any effect on light throttle acceleration. worn throttle shaft? jetting, timing. as said more is not always the answer in fact rarely is the answer. you mention ping timing to far advanced possibly?

-
Back