Carter AFB tuning

-

Mopardude

Reaction score
I bought this Carter AFB carb off of Craiglist seems exactly the same as an Edelbroke that I owned years ago. Could someone refresh my memory here the 2 screws on the front of the carb, the one on the right is the primary adjustment and the left is the secondary?

I always thought one was air and the other one was fuel adjustment, I would like to know for sure as well...

No, they are left and right side idle mixture adjustment.

ONLY AFB's with an "air" adjustment had a huge screw right in the middle between the two idle screws.

Look it up in the shop manuals, which you can download. There's a section in there, if for nothing else, the hemi's.

67 dart is correct. Both are idle fuel mixture adjustment screws only. One for left bank of cylinders and one for right bank.

67 dart is correct. Both are idle fuel mixture adjustment screws only. One for left bank of cylinders and one for right bank.

Actually, the only time this is correct is if you have a 360* design manifold, and in most of those cases, BOTH screws affect both banks to some extent.

But on most factory manifolds, which are usually a 180* design, each screw affects whichever cylinders the runners from that side feed.

The "net effect" is the same -- each affects 1/2 the engine.

Actually, the only time this is correct is if you have a 360* design manifold, and in most of those cases, BOTH screws affect both banks to some extent.

But on most factory manifolds, which are usually a 180* design, each screw affects whichever cylinders the runners from that side feed.

The "net effect" is the same -- each affects 1/2 the engine.

What would the proper way of adjusting this carb be than? This was a used carb and intake setup that I had bought off of Craiglist and the previous owner was basically running it on a stock 318 as well. On my 318 it was very sluggish at take off and at about 3800rpm it ran really rough like it wasn't getting enough fuel. So I turned both screws out till both issues were resolved which ended up being quite a bit and I don't think there is much more I can go out with them. It runs like a dream now but it doesn't have the punch or acceleration I think it should have. I am not really sure what I should do at this point.

Idle only affects so much of a carb's overall performance. I'd be running down to be sure the timing is doing what you want before I blame the carb

If it's a used carb, no telling what someone did with the main jets and metering rods.

And, how big is it? might be a little large for a 318 if it's just a stocker, and the AFB is one of the large ones What is the carb no? Right on the front, stamped on one (left?) mounting ear.

Idle only affects so much of a carb's overall performance. I'd be running down to be sure the timing is doing what you want before I blame the carb

If it's a used carb, no telling what someone did with the main jets and metering rods.

And, how big is it? might be a little large for a 318 if it's just a stocker, and the AFB is one of the large ones What is the carb no? Right on the front, stamped on one (left?) mounting ear.

What do you mean by the timing doing what I want?

I don't have the number of the carb in front of me but I do know its a 500CFM and I did look it up when I first got it to verify it was a 500CFM.

-
Back