Carter thermoquad?

-

04 Diesel

Reaction score
I have 2 carter thermoquad carbs and need to know if they are lean burn carbs, the numbers are 9140S and 9147S. How do can you tell if they are or not? Thank you.

78 400 AT F (4041861) 4092 5137 1997 1-1/2 3

78 318 AT CA (4041865) 4092 5110 1996 1-3/8 3

They are right in the "lean burn era" 78 79....So I would have to say yes...Especially the 9147 being a CA model carb with their pollution controls

I can tell you what the original application was, but not if that particular engine was Lean Burn or not for sure. The abbreviations below might help. If you Google "lean burn thermoquad" you will get info on how you might use one in non LB application.

9140S 78 400 AT F (4041861) 4092 5137 1997 1-1/2 3
9147S 78 318 AT CA (4041865) 4092 5110 1996 1-3/8 3

Abbreviations:
- - - - - - -
AT = Automatic Transmission
MT = Manual Transmission ( No reference means both transmissions )
Pri. = Primary Jet
Sec. = Secondary Jet
Rod = Primary metering rod
Bore = Primary throttle plate diameter in inches, All secondaries are 2-1/4"
HP = High Performance
CA = California application; generic for CA, N95
F = Federal application ( No reference means both Federal and California.)
Can = Canada application. Typically, Canada used Federal carbs except noted.
LD = Light Duty
MD = Medium Duty
HD = Heavy Duty
LB = Lean Burn, ESA. Noted on 76's. After 76, most F cars were LB (N92, N94).
IE = Idle Enrichment
Alc = Altitude Compensator. Few noted, most CA and last years had Alc (N96).
HA = High Altitude
BV = Bowl Vent valve
O2 = Oxygen feedback solenoid

I can tell you what the original application was, but not if that particular engine was Lean Burn or not for sure. The abbreviations below might help. If you Google "lean burn thermoquad" you will get info on how you might use one in non LB application.

9140S 78 400 AT F (4041861) 4092 5137 1997 1-1/2 3
9147S 78 318 AT CA (4041865) 4092 5110 1996 1-3/8 3

Abbreviations:
- - - - - - -
AT = Automatic Transmission
MT = Manual Transmission ( No reference means both transmissions )
Pri. = Primary Jet
Sec. = Secondary Jet
Rod = Primary metering rod
Bore = Primary throttle plate diameter in inches, All secondaries are 2-1/4"
HP = High Performance
CA = California application; generic for CA, N95
F = Federal application ( No reference means both Federal and California.)
Can = Canada application. Typically, Canada used Federal carbs except noted.
LD = Light Duty
MD = Medium Duty
HD = Heavy Duty
LB = Lean Burn, ESA. Noted on 76's. After 76, most F cars were LB (N92, N94).
IE = Idle Enrichment
Alc = Altitude Compensator. Few noted, most CA and last years had Alc (N96).
HA = High Altitude
BV = Bowl Vent valve
O2 = Oxygen feedback solenoid

So they are not lean burn?

I think I am going with a Carter AFB, I always wanted to try a thermoquad. Ill keep my eye out for a different one. Thanks for the help.

The easy way is to look for a vacuum advance port for the distributor, or lack there of.
No port = leanburn

If you can post pictures, that would be a plus. Also, Rob, the vacuum port you are talking about was for the EGR. Lots of non lean burn had EGR. I like carbs with that port, because you can use it for the vacuum advance. It works better than the timed port that the advance can normally hooks too.

If you can post pictures, that would be a plus. Also, Rob, the vacuum port you are talking about was for the EGR. Lots of non lean burn had EGR. I like carbs with that port, because you can use it for the vacuum advance. It works better than the timed port that the advance can normally hooks too.

1484411710421-523961624.jpg

1484411734578788493686.jpg

Whats the difference, a carburetor is nothing more than a controlled fuel leak!
Make it richer, you have a adjustable stop for your front metering rods,
you can change jets, you can plug ports, Whats the difference in a
standard thermoquad and a lean burn?

the idle speed adjusting screw is missing in the later carbs. Maybe if you're really handy, you can drill and tap that part of the casting, which has been left unmachined. I've never done it, but it looks doable. IIRC, the vacuum advance port is on the right (passenger) side. If you turn the carb over you will see the venturi end of the port, at edge of throttle blade (primaries closed).
I agree with previous poster, a few pictures would be helpful.

That first carburetor is good only for a few parts, as it's a later smog piece. The carburetor in the last picture of post #16 is a decent one to build.

on the second carb pic, can't tell from picture angle, whether it has dist. vac port or not. But I can see that you'd have to drill and tap that one for curb idle speed screw. Oh, BTW, IIRC the s-link on the accelerator pump is on bass ackwards.

When modding a lean-burn;it's a little tricky to get the vacuum advance port installed in just the right spot.Otherwise no problem. Even that altitude compensator can be eliminated.

-
Back