Carter to Holley...

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
We, and by "we" I mean my son, stripped the fuel inlet on our BBS carb (65 Valiant) trashing it. To be fair, it's probably a blessing in disguise since it was pretty messed up having been victim to a bad reman job. All we have on hand to replace it is a Holley 1920 from my 69 Dart. The throttle linkages aren't the same but it looks like I could adapt the rotator rod connector from the 65 carb onto the cable driven Holley. Is that a legit way to make this work or is there a better way other than swapping for a cable mechanism? not apposed to swapping it, but we're just trying to get this thing working for now.

If you think you can make a dependable connection between the rod and the linkage, then go for it. Make sure it is a good connection as the rod is the return spring for the throttle. I do not want to advise you to do something that may create a wide open throttle mishap.
The 1920 is pretty much the same throughout the years and if you got a #4712 universal replacement, it had provisions for both the cable or the rod to operate the throttle.

If you think you can make a dependable connection between the rod and the linkage, then go for it. The 1920 is pretty much the same throughout the years and if you got a #4712 universal replacement, it had provisions for both the cable or the rod to operate the throttle.

Ours is the #3920 version. We're just hoping the float is ok on it. What I'm reading is that the 3920 uses the 7.5 gram float, which isn't even available used as far as i can tell.

Ours is the #3920 version. We're just hoping the float is ok on it. What I'm reading is that the 3920 uses the 7.5 gram float, which isn't even available used as far as i can tell.
The earlier cars took the lighter float, but the replacement later was the 12.5 gram. The 12.5 is the universal replacement. There is one for sale on eBay right now. Carter part 21-282 listed as Holley 1920 1bbl Carburetor Float.
To test your float, weigh it dry and then throw it in a container of fuel over night. Weigh it in the morning. If it weighs more, it is time to replace it.

So the 12.5g unit will work just the same? If that's the case, that's great to know. I was under the impression it would somehow alter the function. We'll test the float and eliminate that variable.

Thanks

So the 12.5g unit will work just the same? If that's the case, that's great to know. I was under the impression it would somehow alter the function. We'll test the float and eliminate that variable.

Thanks
12.5 gram float will work. The key to the 1920 is float level. Rough and dirty is 1/4 inch from the top of the float to the top of the float bowl with the carb held upside down. You can use a 1/4 drill bit as a measuring tool. After dry measuring, you run the car and pull the "power valve" and measure the distance between the top of the float bowl and the level of the fuel in the bowl. Setting a little low is better than high in my opinion.

-
Back