Cast 340 intake

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I may have a chance on getting a 340 factory intake. I do plan on using a holley carb with it.So what year intake works with the holley.I know i have to use an adaper.

68-70 340 is a bolt on, 71-73 you will need an adapter cause later ones used a thermoquad....if I remember the 1972 340 was the best one too when it came to HP gains with the right carb

68-70 340 is a bolt on, 71-73 you will need an adapter cause later ones used a thermoquad....if I remember the 1972 340 was the best one too when it came to HP gains with the right carb

Great info thanks, never had one,i allwasys used aftermarket intakes,good used ones around here are hard to get.

Not meaning to hi jack the thread but is a cast intake # 2531915-2 a good intake or is it just a paper weight?

Not meaning to hi jack the thread but is a cast intake # 2531915-2 a good intake or is it just a paper weight?

Hi Jason. Thats not a paper weight. I believe that's a 69-9 340 stock intake. That being said when my 69 is done it will have an LD340 on it.

Thanks Steve
I guess for the right guy it might work for someone.

All 340 intakes are very good. A lot of aftermarket manifolds are not worth swapping, either little gain or an actual loss. 68-69 intake will take a modern carb, AFB AVS or Holley, but has the small bypass nipple for the early cast iron water pump. The 70 340 intake is the same except for the larger bypass nipple for the later aluminum water pump. The 71 340 intake is probably the best TQ intake but as far as I'm concerned there is little difference except for EGR or lack of one. EGR provisions began in late 73. 340 cast iron intakes go for about $75 and up for 68-73 without EGR.

All 340 intakes are very good. A lot of aftermarket manifolds are not worth swapping, either little gain or an actual loss. 68-69 intake will take a modern carb, AFB AVS or Holley, but has the small bypass nipple for the early cast iron water pump. The 70 340 intake is the same except for the larger bypass nipple for the later aluminum water pump. The 71 340 intake is probably the best TQ intake but as far as I'm concerned there is little difference except for EGR or lack of one. EGR provisions began in late 73. 340 cast iron intakes go for about $75 and up for 68-73 without EGR.

so the 68-69 with the small bypass will it work with the 74 pump.if it was you what year would you go for.

so the 68-69 with the small bypass will it work with the 74 pump.if it was you what year would you go for.

I used a 68 340 intake on a 70 318 and it worked fine, can't remember if I just tightened the bypass hose more or doubled up the hose inside the other but it sealed up just fine.

If it were me I would and went with a factory intake I would go with the 70 340 cause the Holley will bolt right up and the bypass hose inlet is the same size....no carb spacer means extra under hood clearance.

I used a 68 340 intake on a 70 318 and it worked fine, can't remember if I just tightened the bypass hose more or doubled up the hose inside the other but it sealed up just fine.

If it were me I would and went with a factory intake I would go with the 70 340 cause the Holley will bolt right up and the bypass hose inlet is the same size....no carb spacer means extra under hood clearance.

Thanks a bunch.

That is odd. People seem to think the stock 340 manifolds are good, but I listed a 1969 dated Intake a while back that was blasted and ready to go, and I got no interest at all. Maybe I will knock a few dollars off and relist it.

I paid 60 bucks shipped to my door for the one in the picture. I only paid that because it was very clean, already hogged out, and no EGR. Price is everything.

That is odd. People seem to think the stock 340 manifolds are good, but I listed a 1969 dated Intake a while back that was blasted and ready to go, and I got no interest at all. Maybe I will knock a few dollars off and relist it.

I just sold 2 on eBay one for 76 and the other for 75.

If you're running 318 heads on your 318 and, you can get a good deal on a factory 340 intake, then go for it. However the intake ports will be mismatched between the two. Otherwise consider a LD4B which has the same size ports as the 318 heads.

The problem is shipping. By the time someone pays 50-75 bucks for an intake and another 50-60 bucks for shipping. I bought one locally for 50 bucks, they are a good intake for sure.

Tried to use an adapter with my factory dual plane manifold on 340 and hood wouldn't close with 650 edlebrock because of that little added height. Be sure to check for that.
Yote

If you're running 318 heads on your 318 and, you can get a good deal on a factory 340 intake, then go for it. However the intake ports will be mismatched between the two. Otherwise consider a LD4B which has the same size ports as the 318 heads.

I get the port size but i would still like have a great intake,for the 360 build next winter.

If you want to run a stock spread bore intake with a direct bolt-on Holley without an adapter, get the Holley 6711 650 mechanical secondary carb....

-
Back