cast crank converter question

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
so i got a 440 off of a guy that broke a rod and trashed the block, i got a bunch of goodies off of it though. it was a cast crank motor with l2295s on ly rods. i got the converter and flexplate too. my question is how did he go about balancing it, its not the b&m style flexplate for external balance and the converter doesnt have any weights welded to the back. also if you guys had any information on the converter. Thanks a lot

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 184
  • photo 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 179
  • photo 3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 201
  • photo 4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 176
  • photo 5.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 176
was the crank internally balanced with mallory metal?

I dont believe so, i didnt notice any, the crank was no good tho, when the rod broke it gouged the journal real bad

on second thought... It couldnt have been internally balanced because it still had the thick external balance damper on it

069J convertor is a good one. Get the B & M special flexplate to balance your crank. 440 cast crank? Hemi style flexplate bolts. TCI 1430. Call TCI. Did the Rod break or the Bolts?

yea, looks like im getting the b&m flexplate...and it broke the cap in between the bolts

It's possible to external balance the front and internal balance the rear. Look for heavy metal or welding done to the rear of the crankshaft.

well i junked the crank cuz it was pretty tore up, but i didnt see anything like that done to it... guess that mus have been what caused the rod to break.. too much vibration

It's possible to external balance the front and internal balance the rear. Look for heavy metal or welding done to the rear of the crankshaft.

Yup, this is correct. My 73 340 is a externally balanced crank and balancer, but has internally balanced flywheel and clucth. The machine shop balanced it this way for me.
I can just never switch any of it, because it was all balanced together.It also runs smooth.

Well the motor im building now is a cast crank 440 also, would my best bet be to get the b&m flexplate, or get the kit to weld weights on my converter? This is a dirt cheap build that ill only have about $800 in the entire motor

I hope not either, everything i have is really decent stuff, stuff that came off other motors or from my uncle, so it should be fine, ill deff post it when its finished

Thats exactly what it will be, the only thing that is brand new is my l2295 pistons, well they are brand new from the 90s, and bearings/ gaskets new of course

the b&m plate will cost less than the weights and it's much easier to just bolt it on instead of all the measuring and welding because they have to be perfectly in the correct spot.

Ok, wellthats the rout i will go, i would like to do a converter swap one day. And yea much easier to just bolt on flexplate... Thanks

You could also put a steel crank in it. It's not uncommon to find good used ones in the $100-150 price range. It's a bolt in swap and especially useful if you ever want to run a standard trans.

Whats an around about price to have it all balanced... If i went with a steel crank

Where do you have your machine work done? I have a friend who has a 440 steel crank. I'll ask him what he wants, if you want me to.

i go to spielmans machine in taneytown, or mark small here in westminster, small is a little pricey but he does pretty good work, and sure, never hurts to know.

-
Back