Cast Your Vote

-

Steves65

Reaction score
Looking for some input to make up my mind,

Original slant 6 (225) - runs ok, but leaks pretty bad from the rear main and blows a little smoke...brought it to a mechanic...options given to me were

1 -Rebuild just the bottom end for approx. $1.8K

2 - Rebuild entire engine for approx. $3.3K (includes pulling motor and reinstall)

3 - Another "possible option" I have been thinking about, but if it costs a lot more than the rebuild, I won't do it, buy a new small block V8

4 - If you have a better idea let me know

What would you do if it was your money.....and the goal was to build a stock cruiser, not a hot rod

Thanks for your input!

What the!!!..stop the presses pal....are you saying he wants 1,800.00 for a bottom end rebuild & 3,300.00 for the whole engine rebuild...Holy crap Batman there's a robbery in progress. Find another mechanic ASAP...you'll get quite a few offers from /6 guys here if you want a reliable /6 engine.

you could rebuild that motor for way less than that by doing it yourself........get a re-ring and gasket kit, have a good machine shop check the block.

plenty of books, and a ton of knowledge right here w/all the fabo members.....piece of cake........
higgs

There are enough great "free" 225s around that you could just do a swap...The one I gave away only had 35K on it...

Do it your self is my vote, after a machine shop does their thing, If your not mechanically inclined go to your local car cruise in and talk to the folks there [especially Mopar guys] to get recommendations of mechanics to do the work. Maybe you have friends that are car guys that'll help you out, just don't get screwed by someone taking advantage of your lack of knowledge/skills [no offence intended]. This is a hobby that is very enjoyable and gratifying but getting screwed normally ends the interest. Best of luck to you.

well for the 3.3k you can almost get a 5.7 hemi with trans computer harrness get the pooter reflashed exshauts motor mounts good to go.

If you don't want to get in over your head mechanically I would recommend replacing the Slant, not going for a small block conversion. The small block is doable, but there are a lot of changes to take into consideration.

You could pick up a good used slant on the other side of the country and have it transported to your location for a lot cheaper than $1.8k. As somebody mentioned before, a lot of folks just give them away. Check your local Craigslist, and look around your immediate area. I bet you could find a good one in the north east within a few hours drive.

-Good luck

If you can wait, you should be able to get a good slant locally for almost free. I recall seeing a bunch of govt surplus rebuilt slants in wooden crates sold on ebay for ~$800 ea a few years ago.

Before you do any of that, check the compression. If it is good (>100 psig all cyl), your engine should be fine. First, turn it over by hand by tugging on the fan belt. Mark the crank pully w/ chalk. If you feel 3 strong resistances per revolution, your engine is in prime condition. The "smoke" could be from many things. Blue smoke under hard acceleration is the main indicator of bad rings. Otherwise, it is more likely grey smoke from burning rich or oil getting into the intake (usually valve stem seals) when sitting a long time at idle. If a cylinder is so bad it doesn't fire, you will see a perfectly clean spark plug from the raw gas passing thru. But that could be due to valves. If the only true engine problem is the rear seal, I think that can be replaced with the engine in the car, at least I have done so on my SB & BB Mopars.

It is fairly easy to mount a V-8 in your 1965 (I assume, you didn't tell us). However, you would need a matching transmission, new steering center link, new throttle cable and kickdown linkage, ...

I know compression is in the 90's so not horrible, but not great. Thanks for all the info guys, a lot to think about.

just spend a couple hundred on gas....I got a documented 24K mile 6 cyl sitting in my shop you can have for $600. (swapped it out for a big block) I would even take your old one in on trade. I need it for motor mount mock up for my K-frames

air cleaner to oil pan w/ exhaust manifold....bolt it in and go!!

If your still questioning what to do check out slantsix.com Lots of /6 gurus over there.

Steves65,can 't be more than a couple of bills to ship HemiDennys mill. At the most,3-4 bills. You can't build one for that.

I had my /6 pulled, bored .030 over, head milled and reinstalled for 2400. This is all new internals. That guy priced it high for a reason, he doesn't really want to do it and hoped that it would scare you away. You could find a dependable running slant for a few hundred and then throw the rest of what you were saying into building a super six. And probably still have some cash left. jmo.

Rebuild the motor and bolt in a turbo :twisted:

Maybe this??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDSvdLRODo"]NEW 2500 HP CAD Billet Block 572 NRE HEMI. Mirror Image Turbos. Nelson Racing. NRE TV Episode 173 - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back