Casting number question

-

64Signet

Reaction score
Looking for a little help with casting numbers. I bought a long block last weekend and was told it is a 1974 360 from an RV. The casting # on left side of block is 4006830-360-7 right side is 72177, heads 4027596, 2367, 360. I have been to a few sites mymopar, stockmopar and yearone with no luck. Are there any other web sites that would help or does anyone know what this was from? I'm planning a build for the street in a 64 Valiant mated to a 4 speed, just wondering if this is a decent motor to start with.

I believe your engine was cast on July 21, 1977. Heads are commonly referred to as 596 castings. That is my limited knowledge.

And it's a 360...so it is good to start with. You can do whatever you want with it...change to better heads etc etc.

I was thinking that looked like a date code myself. Not sure of the differences between early and late 70's castings. Mainly wondering why I can't find info on the casting #, maybe because it's from an RV? Are the 596 heads decent to work with?

I was thinking that looked like a date code myself. Not sure of the differences between early and late 70's castings. Mainly wondering why I can't find info on the casting #, maybe because it's from an RV? Are the 596 heads decent to work with?

They say thicker cylinder walls in the early ones=larger bore size capability, However chrysler thought it wise to enlarge the later 360's thrust bearing.FWIW:read2:

-
Back