CAT Gear Drives

-
One other note, if you're using a dual idler design, it's already less accurate than a good timing chain..just sounds cool...

Boy did this discussion get convoluted. 3 yrs. ago I switched a 440 from chain drive to gear drive and saw "NO" difference in driveability or 1/4 mile time or speed. The only difference was the consumption of Aspirin for the headache the wineing was causing. The other thing is that there is a "non-political" reason to be wary of Chinese steel and that is some of the steel arriving in North America (that's Canada and USA) has a high degree of porisity caused by sulphur inclutions. This is because the Coal they use to make their Steel contains a higher than recommended percentage of Sulphur. That is why some Chinese steel products, such as pipe, is banned for use in North America and parts of Europe.

what kind of whine is this like a supercharger whine or what or a low gear at high rpm wind?

Duster, if you get the chance, watch some top alcohol dragsters or funny cars on TV. They arent as loud as fuelers, and you can really hear the whine because the audio is altered for broadcast. For lack of a better example, a really whiney rear end setup heard from inside the car sounds kind of similar to a gear drive. I like the whine, but I also don't run radios much...So I kind of like the mechanical music.

70Barracuda said:
I agree, alot of guys running some fast times with a chain. Why use a gear? Noisy too.

some people believe it or not actually LIKE the gear drive noise...how do I know...Im one that likes it lol :) . One time I thought a guy had a underhood supercharger on a 67 ChevyII coming into a show..opened the hood nothing..I asked what all the noise was he said the gear drive..I for one thought it sounded great lol.

why doesnt anyone make a gear drive for a small block other than milodon. i like the noisy gear drives too but i refuse to pay that much.

Pete Jackson does i think. But I cant think why you'd spend any money on one (if money's an issue) on an innaccurate POS like a dual idler design. It's as bad as any chain, just more money and noisey. Milodon's is a quality piece. You dont want to spend, buy a chain and a tensioner.

AdamR said:
The problem with oil is that they are taking out the addatives that help flat taooet cams survive. With 90% of new cars being rooler cams or roller faollowers they arent needed.

However Diesals still use flat tappet cams so Diesal oil still has the addatives.
All the diesels I have worked on, Cummins Caterpillar and Detroit have roller cam followers?

-
Back