Cat Whiskers installation

-

norton

Doing the best that I can
Reaction score
Want to change the cat whiskers/ sweeps/ fuzzies, or what ever they are called, on my 72 Duster. What holds the old ones in place. I want to replace both inner and outer.

Thank God I figured out what you were talking about. When I read the title, I thought you were going to put "curb feelers" on your car.

38519824020_large.jpg

On my 73 Dart the outer ones were screwed to the door skin between it and the glass.
The inner ones are attached to the top plastic section of the inner door panels.

I'm talking about the window felts. I Should have known better then to ask a serious question on this site. Thank you Trailbeast, for your answer.

I'm talking about the window felts. I Should have known better then to ask a serious question on this site. Thank you Trailbeast, for your answer.

No just be prepared to explain. What you need to understand that across this country, and on this site, sometimes the world, terminology slang is not "the same."

If I knew, I'd tell ya

On my 73 Dart the outer ones were screwed to the door skin between it and the glass.
The inner ones are attached to the top plastic section of the inner door panels.

Was just looking at them on my '75... Outers are rubber and metal backer is held by 6 screws as said. Inners are felt and have a metal clip backer the entire lenth that grabs the plastic. I tried popping one off and am concerned about breaking plastic. Might run a grinder across the edge and just break the metal to not risk damage to old brittle plastic.

Forgot to mention.. Looks like the glass must be out to get at the screws for the outers

Forgot to mention.. Looks like the glass must be out to get at the screws for the outers

Normally, yes this is the case.

Or way down lower than they normally travel.
My windows used to go down so far that you could get to the screws, but I crimped the tracks a little so they stop with the felts and rubber supporting the glass.
Now they go down just to where the top edge of the glass is flush with the tops of those, and it makes the door/glass a lot more solid sounding when you close them due to the glass not flopping around nearly as much.

Must be different than a duster just donemine didn't have to remove glass. Also if you Startat one end on the inner with a flat blase screwdriver work your way along to each clip in the metal a small twist and they pop out

Just pry then up and they pop off, I just wrap masking tape around the screw driver so I do n't chip the door glass. Install run some masking tape on door edge next to glass so you don't chip your paint when you install new ones. easy pesy

-
Back