Caulk

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Did the factory put some kind of caulk in between the lower quarter and the trunk extension? Car started bubbling on the lower quarter area a short while after it was painted. Ordered lower patch panels and trunk extensions and had my friend cut into it and he found some sort of caulk that had trapped the moisture from the car being washed out numerous times causing the rust.....Friend said it was probably done in an attempt to eliminate some of the rattles, also said he had never seen it before.....

I believe so, I found quite a bit of putty like material around my trunk extensions. I am not sure if it was for rattles or an attempt to keep moisture out.

I have found sealant and filler material on some of the seams of my convertible. It has the paint from the factory covering it which indicates that it was part of the build/assembly process.

I just noticed the same thing in my car yesterday. Made it hard to clear all the dirt and pebbles out.

I have found sealant and filler material on some of the seams of my convertible. It has the paint from the factory covering it which indicates that it was part of the build/assembly process.
Seam sealer is a normal thing, this was slathered between the lower quarter & trunk extension. This is what made the car rot........they put a drain plug on the extension then they put crap in there that will hold the water...that makes a lot of sense

Maybe on later year models. Everything I've found down in that nip of a 67 fish fell from the trunk floor to get there.

-
Back