Not open for further replies.

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Contact seller
I went to one of my favorite Mopar parts outlets this weekend. I asked for a Mopar Performance TDC Stop Tool. My friend behind the desk warned me that they have been having problems with them not fitting the spark plug hole threads. We opened a brand new one out of the package, and tried it in an Edelbrock head, and it would not thread all the way in without binding. He has tried to run a die down the threads, but it doesn't work as the Stop Tool is too hard. He also mentioned that the Comp Cams Stop Tool has the same problems (possibly the same manufacturer?). Apparently there is a big batch run of these out there that are defective. :stop: DON'T BUY ONE WITHOUT TESTING IT IN A SPARK PLUG HOLE TO VERIFY IT IS OK!! :stop:

It really upsets me to see Mopar Quality going to hell. I have always trusted them in the past. In the "old days" if it said Mopar, it was a quality part. Apparently that is no longer true. :wack:

PS. This place also stopped carrying Mopar Performance camshafts because of bad quality. They would be bad out of the box (sometimes in two pieces) and Mopar would not guarantee/warranty them. I loved the old MP Purpleshaft Cams.

I'm very disappointed that Mopar Performance is letting their quality reputation go to hell. :evil2:

Take an old spark plug , knock the porcilain out and put your on stop down through and weld it. Why keep paying the Chinese for something as easy as a piston stop that you can make yourself . Or have a local shop make it for you. Thats the problem with this country. We pay outsiders to do what our local shops can do for us. Keep as much as you can made locally. Help your community survive. If a tool or part is available made in USA. buy it first. or make it yourself.

I did not know they made such a tool :tongue9: I use a drinking straw and when it starts moving down I back it up :happy10:.
TDC tool :happy10: wow, I will stick to my straw :-D

Take an old spark plug , knock the porcilain out and put your on stop down through and weld it. Why keep paying the Chinese for something as easy as a piston stop that you can make yourself . Or have a local shop make it for you. Thats the problem with this country. We pay outsiders to do what our local shops can do for us. Keep as much as you can made locally. Help your community survive. If a tool or part is available made in USA. buy it first. or make it yourself.

very well said

Hell, when I made my first piston stop I didn't even KNOW you could buy 'em.

I have to admit, these tools that don't fit are disturbing. "We" have been making spark plugs "that fit" for a very long time. No excuse for this

Yup, easy to make out of an old spark plug, nut, bolt and some jb weld.

Thanks for the heads up.
Typical when it comes to MP nowadays! Sad really, I remember when I was young always going to the local Plymouth dealers parts department to get my new Direct Connection performance catalog and see what new parts and tools they had just for us die hard Mopar guys. Never questioned the quality or had a problem with anything from them until the defective Orange boxes from their electronic ignition kits started coming out, then it seemed the quality control went down hill.
I wonder if the Ford and Chevy owners have the same problem with their companies TDC stop tools? I think I already know the answer..........

That's a good idea... :read2:

Just to be serious for a couple of seconds, you guys using straws and dipsticks are NOT finding "TDC"

Neither are people who are trying to use a stop screwed through a spark plug hole. That is something you do before the heads are installed. Straws and such work fine for setting the initial timing though, and don't provide jobs for foreigners.

Neither are people who are trying to use a stop screwed through a spark plug hole. .

A properly made, carefully used stop through a plug can be just as solid and just as accurate as one strapped across the deck.

But to suggest that even one with a little "flex" is in the same category as a plastic straw from Burger King is ridiculous

actually it's all in who is using the tool wheather it be a straw a screwdriver or a dial indicator....they are all crappy if the user don't know what he is doing....
A properly made, carefully used stop through a plug can be just as solid and just as accurate as one strapped across the deck.

But to suggest that even one with a little "flex" is in the same category as a plastic straw from Burger King is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back