Cautionary Rock Auto engine sensor tale

-
It may surprise many of you, but the OEM does not make most of their parts.

This maybe true in some cases but I do know that the OEM will demand or require a higher spec on the part.

GM sold A.C. Delco,a decade ago(as well as Delphi). Sold three A.C.Delco long blocks,two came back under warranty. It's just not the same anymore.

I had to deal with this last year- I ordered an AC Delco alternator (from Rock Auto ironically) under the assuption it would be a quality part.

It was a turd with a battered case, worn out holes and subpar parts and a reman in China sticker.

For reference I had two AC Delco units that I had from a job over a decade ago and the parts were a MUCH higher quality. Threads were sharp, diodes twice as heavy, stator neatly painted, etc.

Update-

Much to my surprise there was a refund in my Paypal account for the two sensors, clearly something didn't pass testing or Rock Auto gives everyone a hard time on general principle.

Yes, a refund or another unit without a hassle.

I'm kinda stunned to see a thread like this. I love RockAuto.

I had one defective part went like this "hi, i bought VVT cam actuator solenoid and right after the install, there was a CEL on my truck. I pulled the plug and there is a little oil in the plug, this may be a defective part"

The response was basically "okay, we sent a prepaid label to the email on your account, send it back in X number of days"

No hoops to jump through, they just accepted the return with no hassle.

I'm kinda stunned to see a thread like this. I love RockAuto.

I use to as well but this is the second time I have been burned purchasing sensors.

The first time I ordered a matched set of premium O2 sensors, when the boxes arrived one sensor was correct the other was a Bosch. When I called to complain, RA informed me that since they "rebox" items time to time there is no guarantee what I paid for will actually be in the box.

I kid you not.

I should have learned my lesson then.

Its not Rockautos fault the parts they sold were defective, the same parts would have been defective at auto zone, or Napa, or the dealer. Its how well they cover them after the sale and in rockatutos case you have to deal with shipping. Still I bought a ton of good parts from rockauto but I also use orielly and autozone if I need it now. Another good place to check prices on parts is Amazon of all places. Where I found the best deal on a carb.

Its not Rockautos fault the parts they sold were defective, the same parts would have been defective at auto zone, or Napa, or the dealer.

The answer to that is perhaps- They do indulge in the practice of reboxing goods which can turn into a mess in a hurry. I referenced it above.

How do you know you are getting the premium sensor you paid for if in reality its a reboxed unit from a third tier party? They admitted on the phone they do it, I have received goods that were reboxed units after paying for top shelf stuff.

Don't know about you but my time is limited and valuable and I wasted more than two weeks chasing this issue not to mention the time arguing with them on the phone about it.

Never had a problem returning anything at Autozone or Advanced Auto....but I learned my lesson changing the oil pressure sensor on my wife's 06 Charger with 5.7..... after 2 failed sensors in less than a month I bought one from Mopar no more problems.

-
Back