Center Console Help !

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
Ok, this afternoon we have been trying to convert my duster to a floor shift automatic with center console. While we were installing it we are not quite sure as to how it's suppose to install ! Does the center of the console match the center of the floor hump, OR does the console sit a little to one side?? Anyone have pictures of their console to where it is looking down the length of it, not a side shot? Thanks for all the help !!

I did an install on my 67 Cuda, and I remember it was a booger to get straight......they kinda hug the hump, so to speak, and level themselves out........if they're in right, they're a little bit off center when viewing it from the back seat........I believe that's normal.........

BUT, I don't have a shot from that perspective, and the car is 1600 miles away.........maybe somebody else can shoot you a pic from the back seat.

:read2:

Just went out and looked at mine. It sits a little off center towards the left/driver side.

From the back seat, the left rear of the console is almost a vertical line down the hump. Kinda hard to explain. Hope this helps.

We tried to take the best measurements as we could when we took the mounting brackets off the other car, but when we tried installing it, it seemed to sit a tad off center toward the driver side like yall say. Is the shifter straight in line with center of the hump? Like I said a picture would be nice to judge how it lines up with the seats and such. That video may help we'll have to double check our measurements that you give in it tomorrow.Thanks y'all

Ah yes, The center hump is NOT in the center of the car...It's not far off but enough to matter.. ask me how I found out.... My guess would be that the console is offset to make it centered in the car. I would have to say that the shifter is offset as well.

Hey man whats up. It is an Absolute yes! It does sit off to the drivers side!
What I did was cut the hole in the floor with a hole saw then I attatched the linkage and shifter to the bracket. I then set the shifter so the rod was centered in the hole (front to back), then I made sure the shifter was level across the top where it bolts to the bracket. At that point I realized that the bracket was matching up very well with the floor. Once I got it where I was comfortable with it. I used a self tapping screw to hold it to the floor for temporary purposes.

After that, I attatched the other 2 brackets to the console itself. Set the console over the shifter, and check to make sure that you can shift from park to first and not hit the console in the front or back. Once you have that adjusted make sure it is sitting level across the top of the actuall console.
When I did all that, I looked under the cosole at my brackets and once again they were sitting very nicely against the hump. I figure what I will do from there is check my measurements to the ones that Jimmy gave me in the video. If they are correct I will reach under there with my mig gun and tack it. Then Ill remove it and weld it up. If they are off a little, then I will make the necesary adjustments or find the happy medium. I was surprised to find it so simple. I know plenty of people have been in our position and had plenty of trouble.

Oh if you have the correct bracket down on the trans, just make sure you have the rod in the bushing. After that, you should have a very good idea where the shifter bracket will end up in relation to the floor.

Hope this helps. Donnie.

-
Back