Center link confusion

-

Gryzynx

Senior Moment
Reaction score
Well, it's time to get out and put my suspension back together. As this last year has been an adventure in moving, I need to make the trip back to Saskatchewan and I want to make sure I have everything in order. It's a long trip.

I left my 68 Barracuda behind, halfway thru a motor swap. Originally the car was /6 and manual steering. My donor 74 Dart had V8 PS and, of course LBP disc brakes. I salvaged everything from the Dart and I have to sort out the center link issue before I can steer again. I want to retain the manual steering because of the compatibility with the steering column and the clearance advantage. All the 68 components were in good condition. The /6 and 68 K member along with the SBP drums have been removed. The V8 and spool mount K member are in place along with the LBP disc brakes. The 68 manual box is bolted up to the late K member and the 68 steering column. The 74 center link is still in place, but of course, the over/under mounting issue will not allow it to bolt up to the 68 manual pitman arm and the 74 PS pitman arm will not fit the earlier manual box. I have the center link and idler arm from the 68 and I think changing over to these pieces will be the easiest solution. Can anyone confirm that the 68 pieces will fit the late model K member? Second option would be to locate the correct manual pitman arm, but there is contradictory info all over the place regarding shaft size. Can anyone confirm that the manual steering box arms are all 1.125", or did they change to 1.250" along with the PS box in 73 and up? Third option would be to locate a 73 and up manual steering box with the correct pitman arm, but these seem to have disappeared from the junkyards. Any help is appreciated.

well first off the center link from a v8 or 6 will not work with the other...

as for the parts needed just use the 6 center link or buy a v8 pitman/centerlink/idler...

After 66, there is no specific /6 or v8 centerlink. That was only for the early A's.

Buy an idler for a '72 and then your '68 centerlink will bolt up to your late k-frame.

Yes all the 68 steering gear will work on the 74 spool k-member. That is what I did when I first swapped in the 360 into my 68 \6 Barracuda, I latter swapped in all the 73+ steering gear when I went from manual to power steering.

Yes all the 68 steering gear will work on the 74 spool k-member. That is what I did when I first swapped in the 360 into my 68 \6 Barracuda, I latter swapped in all the 73+ steering gear when I went from manual to power steering.

#-o Dang it!! I keep getting tripped up on the idlers.

The '68 idler is the same as the '72 idler I suggested isn't it. In which case, it would be useless to buy another one.

:eek:ops:

#-o Dang it!! I keep getting tripped up on the idlers.

The '68 idler is the same as the '72 idler I suggested isn't it. In which case, it would be useless to buy another one.

:eek:ops:

Correct 68-72 idlers are the same. 67-72 centerlinks are the same /6 or V-8. 67-72 pitmans are the same. It's just the 67 idler that is different.

Note the 383 cars got different pitmans and idlers to clear the exhaust.

So the OP can swap all his 68 idler, centerlink, pitman, and steering box as a unit to the 73-76 spool type K-member.

After 66, there is no specific /6 or v8 centerlink. That was only for the early A's.

Buy an idler for a '72 and then your '68 centerlink will bolt up to your late k-frame.

oh! interesting! i didn't knot know that thanks for the update!

Thank you all for the help. At least I stand a chance of piecing it together next month. Next stop.....PAINT!

-
Back