Center of balance on a Rotisserie

-

eccentricMagpies

Reaction score
I have my 69 dart on a Rotisserie but it seems to be binding and figured that maybe I need to simply get the car higher?
Is there some guide on what the correct location would be for these?

IMG_6288.jpg

I forgot where I read the information but I vaguely remember a member saying that the initial ballpark starts right around the height of a camshaft in a small block... which is also similar in height where the top/center of the trans tunnel meets the firewall.

Just my engineering brain talking as I have never gotten a car on a rotisserie.

Green with k member and rear springs.

Closer to red without

Screenshot_20230911-153048.png

I have my 65 Barracuda on my rotisserie, with a full 8.75 rear end, drums and brakes, leaf springs, complete front clip disc brakes.
The car is mounted with the rotisserie "spindles" directly aligned with the centerline of the tunnel back to the rearend yoke, using a bubble level on the top center (fore and aft) of the tunnel. I can turn the rotisserie crank with one hand and very little effort.
Norm

Last edited:
This is personal preference but this is how my stripped out shell lined up. It was a tad bottom heavy but I wanted it that way-I did not want this to get away from me while I was rotating it and have the roof slam into the steel connector across the bottom because it wasn't high enough to clear it.

DSCN0131.JPG

DSCN0133.JPG

Ken

I maxed out the height (2 steps higher) of the rotisserie and looking at some of the photos above.. I feel I am right where the suggestions are recommending.
After any adjustment, is it wise to 'reset' the lower connecting tube? Or will that have nothing to do with what I'm dealing with?

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

Can you turn this (red)over 180 deg for additional height.

Screenshot_20230913-173730.png

well.. I have to take a bar to turn it .. not sure that is a good idea but it is as high as I will get it

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

I put the center of the pivot even with the center of the firewall and tail panel as a starting point. Then I fine tune it until I can basically spin it with one hand and there are no points where it want to roll over on its own. Take your time now and it will make your restoration so much more enjoyable rather than fighting an out of balance rotisserie. Expect to spend about 2 hours getting it dialed in perfectly. Well worth it in the end.

-
Back