Centering borgeson box

-

Valiantknight

Reaction score
Installed the powersteering quick ratio box afew months ago and had to put down the project because life got in the way. Lost the instructions and now I'm re-installing the steering column. How do I find center on this box? I haven't put the pitman arm back in yet its just bolted to the k frame.

I'd attach the column and steer all the way to the left and then back the other way and count the turns. Then count back exactly half the amount and that will put it very close to centre enough for you to set the pitman arm in place.

I'd attach the column and steer all the way to the left and then back the other way and count the turns. Then count back exactly half the amount and that will put it very close to centre enough for you to set the pitman arm in place.
Odd question should I have the box hooked to the pump and running while figuring center? I didn't know if pump pressure makes a difference while doing this. Box still has the plastic plugs in it I haven't hooked the new hoses up to it yet.

Odd question should I have the box hooked to the pump and running while figuring center? I didn't know if pump pressure makes a difference while doing this. Box still has the plastic plugs in it I haven't hooked the new hoses up to it yet.

No all you want to do is centre the box so you can line up the pitman arm.

The pitman is but the input for the steering column isn't that's where I'm running into issues
Well if the pitman is keyed that is half your battle.

You may have to "adjust" it later. (When you get it aligned)

Last question I'm not sure which side is the high and low side on the box or the pump. I have a saginaw style pump
Look carefully on the box. Next to the ports, arrows indicating the direction of flow are present. The inner, towards the engine is pressure.

Install the coupler and rotate 1.875 turns off either lock. The box will get very stiff. Fit the pitman arm on the splines. When the center of the pitman shaft is aligned front to rear with the grease fitting at the center link, the box is dead center. The input side of the box is not keyed or marked.

-
Back