chain

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
Hopefully I won't have to worry about my motor mounts breaking again hope y'all like my strap

Attachments

• 2012-02-26 16.00.34.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 309
good luck with that, hooking a chain to the aluminum heads is something I would never do especially since what there worth

if your that woried about breaking an engine mount why didn't you go with poly loc's?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/67bopoin.html

if you can spend what $1200+ on a set of heads for an engine whats $160 to make sure the engine stays put...

I understand but I have solid motormounts the chain. Is extra insurance not primary source of mounting but I think the head will be fine...I have never ever herd of the heads getting pulled apart ever in the history of eddy heads if u have seen it post a pic and then I might bolt it somewhere else... but I just dd it because I ported my heads intake and mp 590 cammed my car and I don't want to deal with the mounts again..but thanks for lookiing out guys

Not to that head. Better not having it then.....
Take the motor back out and find or drill a lower to attach your chain to the block.

Maybe it's just the picture but the chain looks pretty loose... It looks like the engine would have to move a ton just too take up the slack.

IMO it looks pretty %&$?$@ rigged... I'm fabbing a hold down right now... With just a little thought you can do a lot better.

Good luck.

Wow, I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Edit: Make a torque strap for it at least so that slack isn't there.

Maybe it's just the picture but the chain looks pretty loose... It looks like the engine would have to move a ton just too take up the slack.

Good luck.

Exactly and if it moves enough to take up that slack the shock load on that bolt will be huge.

Better off not having that chain at all.

I see but after a few passes I'll let u guys know how it holds and it is a hack job but that's how people do things sometimes.. I once used a rachet strap and it held up just fine ..I'll keep all u guys posted but if the head breaks who cares get new ones or just move up to w2 s....

I broke both. Of my old solid mounts so my pops suggested the chain for secondary measure so we will see how it does once i get it running in a couple days

I broke my old solid mounts so my pops suggested the chain to back the mounts that's why I did it...but I guess no,one like my chain and u need a little slack in the chain to make it able to move a little bit...I like it and it will hold up

used to use a turnbuckle and tighten it up to take slack out of chain

I bought solid poly mounts and a torque strap from Schumacher. Loose the chain and get a torque strap. Looks better, safer on the head.

I would go with solid mounts. I have had them in my car for 11 years, no issues. Your breakage was probably a fluke, defective part, or a miss application of the correct part.

Knock it out. It's your stuff.

Knock it out. It's your stuff.

exactly, anyone who doesn't care if they break $1200 parts is a person who I really don't care if they take my advice. I will laugh when I see the thread named "a bad day at the track" or "I ruined my aluminum heads" :wack:

It looks like you've spend good money on the right parts,
be a shame to not protect them.
Mounts are just as integral as the rest, If moneys tight you
can modify a stock set of mounts to be indestructable with
small modification.
Ya might break more than a mount: fan shroud, fan, trans come to mind.
I believe most well made mounts are of the interlocking style nowdays.

There is a thread on this mod, you can find it by searching.

used to use a turnbuckle and tighten it up to take slack out of chain

Yup. It's hard to get links to be just the right length. But, I'd used this style for years. Never a failure... Not like the Schumaker strap.

-
Back