challenger console and slap stick

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
anyone put a challenger console and slap stick in a A body ? we are trying to do something different with our dart

I've used the slapstick in an A-body console. Top lever on the vertical rod needs to have a new outer hole 1/4" farther in.
DW031998.JPG

I love the short shifter handle of the E and B body slapstick, the Ebody console is a little too wide but it will fit. I like the look of the A body console better, and is a better fit but I feel like the the short shifter be moved too far forward?

E and 71-74 B body consoles are the same.

IIRC the shifter mount between A, 66-70 B and the slaptick is also the same.

What's different, is the bracket that bolts to the transmission (the one that most people forget to grab when removing console from a parts car). On a B that changes 66-70 and 71-74. bend is slightly different and hole location is offset. Not sure about A.

Late B 75-79 shifters are also the same, but the pawl that makes them ratchet is not there.
They can be converted to "slap" ratchet action.

E body console looks great with the auto stick in that A body. Not sure what mods would be required to mount an E body 4 speed console in an A body 4 speed car.

I love the short shifter handle of the E and B body slapstick, the Ebody console is a little too wide but it will fit. I like the look of the A body console better, and is a better fit but I feel like the the short shifter be moved too far forward?

Maybe if you're tall, but I have found that the shifter is in a good place. I've tried to modify an A-body shifter, but have not come up with a method that works. I may try again one of these days, but I like the short shifter.

Great picture. Do you think this would work with a manual as well? I’m looking to put a 5 speed in my 71 demon. They don’t make a pistol grip for the 5 speed to be used with the console. Curious if I could possibly do this and buy the e body tremac. Did you have to do much to fit this console between the seats? I’m actually down in dayton not to far from you.

Great picture. Do you think this would work with a manual as well? I’m looking to put a 5 speed in my 71 demon. They don’t make a pistol grip for the 5 speed to be used with the console. Curious if I could possibly do this and buy the e body tremac. Did you have to do much to fit this console between the seats? I’m actually down in dayton not to far from you.
IMG_1881.jpeg

E and 71-74 B body consoles are the same.

IIRC the shifter mount between A, 66-70 B and the slaptick is also the same.

What's different, is the bracket that bolts to the transmission (the one that most people forget to grab when removing console from a parts car). On a B that changes 66-70 and 71-74. bend is slightly different and hole location is offset. Not sure about A.

Late B 75-79 shifters are also the same, but the pawl that makes them ratchet is not there.
They can be converted to "slap" ratchet action.
Some late B-body shifters were also ratchet shifters. I have one.

I've used the slapstick in an A-body console. Top lever on the vertical rod needs to have a new outer hole 1/4" farther in.View attachment 1715925972
Is the hole modification the only thing that needs to be done......Then it drops right into the factory location using existing rods and brackets? Very nice.....

I am not sure about the 5 speed lining up or not. The console is a tight fit but does fit fine just below the top of the seats.

I am not sure about the 5 speed lining up or not. The console is a tight fit but does fit fine just below the top of the seats.
Would it be possible for you to post more pictures of the console fit? A shot directly above the console looking down between seats. Trying to get a feel for the fit between the seats.

anyone put a challenger console and slap stick in a A body ? we are trying to do something different with our dart
Love that console and the Slap Stick is the best automatic shifter on the planet.

Is the hole modification the only thing that needs to be done......Then it drops right into the factory location using existing rods and brackets? Very nice.....
Yup, that's the only mod. All parts except the shifter itself are A-body parts.

-
Back