Challenger makes history today

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just thought maybe some folks would like to know that Challenger has made it to nascar today in qualifying 8)
So June 1 2010 on a Thursday they let the new Challenger on the track at Daytona :happy10:
Pardon this thread if you don't watch nascar, but the folks out there that owns one may like to know.

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/bg/10/31/dodge.challenger.nationwide.series/index.html

Here is a couple quick pictures

Challenger IN NASCAR Cup race 004.jpg

Challenger IN NASCAR Cup race 003.jpg

Challenger IN NASCAR Cup race 001.jpg

hell yeah, thats awesome.

btw: neither of those links worked for me, but it may be because im on a work computer?
might check em incase.

links didnt work for me either, but that is great news. im happy for the challenger, and I hope it kicks the **** out of the camaro and mustang!

hell yeah, thats awesome.

btw: neither of those links worked for me, but it may be because im on a work computer?
might check em incase.
I sure will
Give this one a try, let it get half way though then you will see the new drivers and I think Justin Allgaier "little alligator" is the young gun to show this Challenger off 8)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1yDGoQxNoQ&feature=fvsr"]YouTube- New Dodge Challenger NASCAR 2010 at Talladega[/ame]

Nether one worked for me, what's up !!

Correct me if i am wrong... But Nascar is still banning the Hemi, correct?? so the challengers and chargers have some form of a small block wedge?? cause IF they had the Hemi's it could be a repeat of when the Daytona's and Superbirds ruled, until Nascar kicked them out...I think that is when they outlawed the Hemi's..

True, Dodge's new P6 engine is an evolutionary step from the older P5 design
ford has a new engine they brought to the plate this season also

hrdp_0911_02_z+NASCAR_race_engines+.jpg

True, Dodge's new P6 engine is an evolutionary step from the older P5 design
ford has a new engine they brought to the plate this season also

HMMM that may be interesting to watch, I looked at the NASCAR site, they have a picture of the Mustang, doesnt really look like a Mustang though, i couldnt enlarge the picture though.

What engine is the Challenger using? The engine above looks like a new hemi, i cant see any spark plugs on the side of the head.

HMMM that may be interesting to watch, I looked at the NASCAR site, they have a picture of the Mustang, doesnt really look like a Mustang though, i couldnt enlarge the picture though.

What engine is the Challenger using? The engine above looks like a new hemi, i cant see any spark plugs on the side of the head.

If you look real closs you can see there are no plug wirs on that engine and just below the coolant rail on the side of the head you can see the spark plug holes rp23g7, They will be racing this evening at 7pm et, I will be on the couch watching and taking pictures to share here and save for myself :happy10:

If you look real closs you can see there are no plug wirs on that engine and just below the coolant rail on the side of the head you can see the spark plug holes rp23g7, They will be racing this evening at 7pm et, I will be on the couch watching and taking pictures to share here and save for myself :happy10:

Oh i gotcha, i see them,

Nice to see they approved Challenger stickers for NASCAR racing for their same-as-everyone-else body.

So they can call that a Dodge motor because it says Dodge on the valve covers? Looks like a small block Ford with the dizzy where it is. Exhaust ports look Ford too.

What's the point of coming out with new engines when the whole idea is to go the same speed as everybody else?

What's the point of coming out with new engines when the whole idea is to go the same speed as everybody else?

You're better off not using logic when it comes to anything nascar. I've tried and i still don't get it. At the end of the day its the same speed in a circle for hours.

You're better off not using logic when it comes to anything nascar. I've tried and i still don't get it. At the end of the day its the same speed in a circle for hours.

:prayer: Watching the Nascar guys attempt road course racing is always fun! Hmmm I can't get past him... so I guess I will just ram him out of the way!

Correct me if i am wrong... But Nascar is still banning the Hemi, correct?? so the challengers and chargers have some form of a small block wedge?? cause IF they had the Hemi's it could be a repeat of when the Daytona's and Superbirds ruled, until Nascar kicked them out...I think that is when they outlawed the Hemi's..

Actually what happened was. Nascar was getting lots of complaints from ford and gm about how the hemi was kicking butt so they banned the hemi. The next season richard petty ran a barracuda in drag racing and didn't circle track he nicknamed his car "outlawed" to coincide with the banning of the hemi in nascar. Chrysler while floating around in mediocrity without the hemi then came out with the Wing car and dominated once again. Which nascar subsequently banned because we were once again way better.

Actually what happened was. Nascar was getting lots of complaints from ford and gm about how the hemi was kicking butt so they banned the hemi. The next season richard petty ran a barracuda in drag racing and didn't circle track he nicknamed his car "outlawed" to coincide with the banning of the hemi in nascar. Chrysler while floating around in mediocrity without the hemi then came out with the Wing car and dominated once again. Which nascar subsequently banned because we were once again way better.

Well, they wouldn't even let the Ford SOHC 427 on the track....

You're talking about the hemi ban of '65, which was lifted shortly afterward. The hemi was already back in use when the wing cars were introduced.

The wing cars were a result of the aero wars between Dodge and Ford during the '69 season. Early in the season Ford created the Torino Taledega and Cyclone Spoiler, and Dodge created the Charger 500, with small mods like flush mount grills and windows. Ford was winning this battle early in the season, so Dodge came out with the Daytona. The Hemi engine was in full use, and Ford had thier newly designed Boss 429, made legal by stuffing them into a handful of Mustangs.

In 1970 the Mopar wing cars dominated, so Nascar changed the rules to limit wing cars to 305 cubic inch, or carry alot of extra weight. 1971 saw alot of wing cars with hot small blocks, still winning races. Eventually Nascar changed the rules again (1972 or 1973?), effectively outlawing wing cars.

This Challenger will be in the cup series, it was designed for nascar....
I remember the day mopar came back to the circle track in nascar.

A closer look at the Challenger

ALL MY BROTHERS ON THE HILL 024.jpg

ALL MY BROTHERS ON THE HILL 026.jpg

ALL MY BROTHERS ON THE HILL 025.jpg

ALL MY BROTHERS ON THE HILL 028.jpg

Well looks like mopar power overcomes aerodynamics....Big time qualifing for the dodge in Nationwide,,,,,,,:cheers:

Thats good to here. Must have found a way around the air build up in that area. I was just thinking of the 68 Chargers and how they had to put a flush grill on it aka the 69 Charger 500.

-
Back