Champion Aluminum Radiator...Junk Core?

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
I purchased this Champion 4 Row Monster radiator brand new in July of 2011. I posted in someone elses thread on here about how the corners of the core are leaking were they meet the lower tank. Well, now it's also seeping from the upper core in the corners. Kind of frustrated. It was already the second one I got from them, as the first I had to return because when I opened the box, there was a big dent in one of the mounting brackets and the welds looked horrible.
Here's a few pics I took a few days ago of some of it. These are on the engine or back side.
Not sure if I can get it replaced or not. I believe it's poor craftsmanship where the tanks are welded to the core due to the fact that it's all four corners.
I have to put a half a gallon in every few days to put it in perspective. Also, it will temp spike every couple a weeks as well.
I was satisfied with this radiator for awhile but now it's very disappointing. It's not like I have another $255 to go throw away on another new one. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 561
Don't spend a dime on another one! They have a Lifetime Warranty on their radiators and yours certainly looks defective

http://championcooling.com/champion_04-01-11_004.htm

If the dealer from whom you purchased the radiator won't help you, send me a PM. I am also a Champion Dealer and I will see what I can do to help you. They generally have really good customer service.

Mines in a box in the garage. Friggin chinese junk.Save your money and buy a Griffin.They are twice the price but they are ten times the quality.

Why not re-core an original copper/brass radiator? Either an original or an American made aluminum.

Why not re-core an original copper/brass radiator? Either an original or an American made aluminum.

Re-coring costs just as much, if not more, than a new Champion radiator. And you have to find a competent shop to do it. Since most new car radiators have plastic tanks, the number of shops out there that still know how to re-core a radiator is shrinking.

I have a 3 core 26" champion radiator that I bought from challengergary in my Duster. No issues so far, looks pretty well built to me.

Last year I purchased the same 4 core 26" as yours for a big block in A body. So far no problems and the piece is really nice IMO. Sorry to hear you are having trouble, I would take Gary's advice and try to get it replaced. Its probably worth a try.

vbpgimage.php

This is what they sent me yesterday.

Dear jwa01-dodge,

Jeremy: You can return the radiator to Champion Cooling c/o Kool Radiators at 32373 Corydon St, Lake Elsinore, Ca., 92530, 951-245-9464. They will inspect the radiator and at their discretion, repair or replace it and return. I will need the carrier name and tracking # to complete the process. Please email this information to me right away. Champion has only 4 MC2374's in stock, so the sooner you return the radiator, the better. Thanks, Brent ...

- koolradiatorscoolingsystems

I will be down my daily driver if I have to take it out and send it to them. This is time I don't have but I guess I'll have to do it if I want a good radiator.

I told them I have pics of what it's doing but they didn't ask to see them. Also, I have to pay for shipping.

Don't spend a dime on another one! They have a Lifetime Warranty on their radiators and yours certainly looks defective

http://championcooling.com/champion_04-01-11_004.htm

If the dealer from whom you purchased the radiator won't help you, send me a PM. I am also a Champion Dealer and I will see what I can do to help you. They generally have really good customer service.

Stand up guy! when im ready with my Demon Ill come to you

-
Back