CHAMPION PLUG HEAT RANGES

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Is there a chart i can look at to see the heat ranges for Champion spark plugs. The supercharger i installed on my 360 they want you to run a 1-2 colder plug. Yea i know some of you are going to tell me to run a different brand. I have always had good luck with Champions. Ive tried other brands & was never impressed

Not a thing wrong with Champions. Although I have read where they did make a bad run of plugs fairly recently. Other than that, the brand doesn't amount to anything. Any company can have a run of defective parts. I've had good service from Champions.

ok i didnt know how the heat ranges ran I didnt know if they ran like 12s thec 11s 10s ect
Normally stock heat ranges for passenger car and light truck engines are 14 and 12. For performance 11 and 9.

As mentioned about Champion plugs, lower # = lower heat range. Some other brands follow that pattern while others are lower # = higher heat range. Gotta check your brand.

FWIW N9Y were originally for high compression 340s and N10Y were for 426 Hemis. (I believe Champion 61 & lower were considered race plugs & didn't follow with the passenger car number sequence.)

1714319918129.png

So colder is better for a performance engine? I am a good mechanic and can do just about anything on a car, but I don't know much about spark plug heat ranges. I have a 69 Cuda with a 340 built to about 375 HP with 3.55 gears and a 4 speed. what heat range would be best? I usually use Autolite plugs, but I guess I could try Champions.

So colder is better for a performance engine? I am a good mechanic and can do just about anything on a car, but I don't know much about spark plug heat ranges. I have a 69 Cuda with a 340 built to about 375 HP with 3.55 gears and a 4 speed. what heat range would be best? I usually use Autolite plugs, but I guess I could try Champions.
Sorta. The higher the compression, the colder the plug, as a general rule. in other words, you don't want a plug that puts a lot of heat into the cylinder head (and combustion chamber) on a high compression engine, like a hot plug would tend to do. Saying the a cold plug is better for a performance engine is a little broad, since a low compression engine CAN also be a performance engine if built for it. In that case, the performance engine would not need a colder than normal plug. It's compresseion dependent. If that makes sense.

You won't notice any difference changing from one brand to another, as long as the heat range is the same. If you run a compression test, you can get a good idea of what plug heat range you should run. Sounds like you should be running whatever plug is correct for the 68-71 340.

Thank you all for your help & input Looks like i am on the hunt for 11s or 10s in Champions.

Thank you all for your help & input Looks like i am on the hunt for 11s or 10s in Champions.
You can find old stock ones all over eBay pretty cheap. If you hunt long enough you can get them cheaper than the new ones from rock auto

If I remember correctly, Champion plugs with a "C" on the end (i.e.: N-10YC - more search options) were an upgrade from the originals and had a copper core, or something like that.

-
Back