chance of a lifetime :)

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
So I am 31 yrs old. have several cars. and i love to drag race. but lately have been thinking about pulling motor and trans from my dart and selling the dart as a roller. Just can't really afford to go do any racing.
I have gotten to know a really nice fella. he is retired has had heart attack or two. his son has no interest in cars. I go have lunch at his house 1-2 time per week with him. he built the motor in my dart 4 yrs ago.
he has a duster that is tubbed and narrowed has a 451 bb in it. very nice car, delay boxes, transbrake etc. the car runs 9.4's at 145mph. He came by today said can you come by the house I need to talk to you.
So I went over there today and he had heard about me wanting to sell and get out. He said he cant drive the car and wanted to know If I would run the car for him from now on. Said he will pay for everything if I would use my cummins to pull his trailer. and only pay 1/2 the fuel for the truck. He will cover everything else. This is a sweet opportunity. I couldn't believe it. He said go home and think about it for a couple days and get back with him.

my car runs 10.30's. so i am not licensed for 9's and i think maybe you have to have a physical for it as well not sure. I need to check into all this. How much does a license and physical cost? I think you have to have 3 licensed drivers sign for you. not sure any input?

that is an opportunity! !
I'm sure it meant alot that you went and spent time with him.
That's his way of saying Thank you.

i am super excited. Next time im at his house i will try to take some pictures of the duster and post on here. Only thing i have never figured out is he has spent all this money on the car and it is way nice and
Why would you keep the small bolt drum brakes on the car? lol

But really I would tell him he needs to convert it to disc brakes before you race it.

he says stops fine like it is. he thinks the disc brakes would be heavier. lol
says worst case pull the parachute. lol

my car runs 10.30's. so i am not licensed for 9's and i think maybe you have to have a physical for it as well not sure. I need to check into all this. How much does a license and physical cost? I think you have to have 3 licensed drivers sign for you. not sure any input?

per nhra rule book....2012

A new driver who has not previously held a competition license will
be given a special cockpit-orientation (blindfold) test, and will be
required to make a minimum of six runs under the observation of
two licensed drivers and a designated NHRA official. Witnessing
drivers must hold a competition license equal to or greater than one
being applied for.

For all 9.99 and quicker closed-bodied cars, a full-face Snell M2005,
M2010, K2005, SA2000, SA2005, SA2010, SFI 31.2A, or 41.2A
helmet mandatory; shield permitted (goggles prohibited).

Neck collar meeting SFI Spec 3.3 mandatory in all cars running
9.99 (*6.39) or quicker or cars exceeding 135 mph. A head and
neck restraint device/system may be used in lieu of a neck collar.

9.99 (*6.39) to 7.50 (*4.50 ) or any vehicle exceeding 135 mph:
Jacket and pants meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI
Spec 3.3/1 mandatory,

Wow that is a great opportunity.
Since he is a friend there a few things that you both need to discuss such as how competitive each of you want to be - if you just want to drive and he wants to be competitive/win then there may be hard feelings. I can't think of everything right now but what happens if more money is needed?
I think it's great but you should make sure you both have the same expectations.

I'm still trying to figure out why you had to go home and think about it. I would have jumped at it immediately...and then talk about any questions that you might have.
Please post pics when you get them.

Will he also let you take his daughter out on the weekends?

-
Back