Change to V-8 torsion bars?

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Winter project going through front end on newly purchased 65 Dart. It was a six is now a V-8, just pulled torsion bars out to start process. Should I switch over to V-8 torsion bars from p-s-t or someone when putting back together? I'm assuming that would be better with heavier motor up front now for driving. Check back later, thanks

What are looking to do with car cruise, drag, street/strip or pro-tour? Some additional information like that would help in giving you the right options to look at.

Thanks
James

Put a set of heavier bars in from a 340 car, or new heavy bars . Get rid of the bounce. I had /6 bars in my car for drag racing. It would bottom out on every dip in the road on the street.

Because the smaller bars take more wrap to get the car to ride height they create greater lift on acceleration. But they also compress much easier. V8 or 318 bars are not much better.

the factory numbers are as followed

/6 ---------------888,889
318 --------------890,891
340---------------892,893
68 340 4spd-------894,895 come with heavier stabilizer bar
67-69 383,440-----894,895 come with Standard bar

Now this is only what I have seen stripping these cars over many years. Some may not agree because the info they read states different. The new bars sold today I believe are much better then the older parts including Torsion and stabilizer bars. . Hope this helps steve

I just swapped my /6 for a 273 and the I didn't change the bars. I'll let you in week or so if there is a difference. Haven't driven it yet. But it is sitting better than it was.

Just cruising James, rolling country roads along the river. :) Has 318 in car now.
Let me know on Red Valiant how it drives, cornering and all that good stuff. thanks everyone

I upgraded my 6 bars to 340 bars and added front and rear stabalizers on my 67 notch back and I couldnt believe the diffrence very nice driving car now.

All 340 cars came with the same torsion bars (same as all 273 and 318 handling package bars). Those were .870". 1967 383 A-bodies also used the "340" bars (including sway bar). 68-69 383/440 cars used the .890" bars.

I have used the .890" bars with the 68-69 383 sway bar in a couple of 440 powered Darts. They work well together.

You may already have V-8 bars. Slant 6 cars w/ factory A/C had the same T-bars as the smaller V-8 engines (maybe not in 1965). Check the numbers on your T-bars (and mic them) against the charts you can find here. Most who buy after-market choose 0.900 - 1.000" D, which are much stiffer than any factory ones. I recall that 1"D ones are the cheapest, and most who use they say they aren't a harsh ride.

Bars are 623 on left & 622 on right, according to numbers book those are slant six bars. Will probably upgrade to 340 bars when she goes back together. Going to upgrade to disc brakes and looking at Ramman and waiting to hear back from Scarebird. E-mailed Scarebird a couple of times but no answer, makes me nervous if need some tech support later. I like Ramman set-up since I have 9" spindles and can use existing hardware. Had KH disc on my 68 and they worked fine.

-
Back