Changed my oil, Now it smokes

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Why does something so simple end up being a problem. First i dran the oil and pull the filter. Simple. The oil that came out was full of fuel from my earlier carb problems. I should have changed it MUCH sooner but didnt. Then I go to put my new filter on (K@N) and it wont go on. I messed around with this thing for 20 minutes before I relized the old filter gasket was stuck on the block.

So filters on, drain plugs back in, I fil it up with 4 fresh quarts of oil plus a half quart in the filter. Pull the coil wire and crank it over a few times till I have some pressure. Then I put the coil wire on and start it up. 50psi at an idle. Right back were its always been. It was around 20psi the last few times I drove it.

I let the car run for a bit and notice blue smoke puffingout of the drivers side muffler. Great, looks like I hurt something.

Why would it smoke now that it has fresh 20/50 in it and not before when the oil was more gasoline ? Looks like I have no choice but to try my new compression guage out. :argue:

i'm no expert but at a mopar show this motor guru guy said my 340 couldn't keep up with the 750 dbl pumper and the end result was unburned fuel in my oil and ring damage. then he mumbled i just as well start the rebuild now. well i've had no problems, and i'm far from the only one with this setup but i didn't forget what he said either. i hope your problem is simple or even gone by now. gud luk

how long was it running the fueled oil??? could it have thrashed the valve seals???? i know that my 68 AND my 71 both smoke and its valve seals on both.. might be worth lookin into..

You may have "flooded" the rocker cover when you filled it with the new oil, and caused it to over oil the valve stems. Run it for a while and see how it goes, it'll prolly tidy itself up.

i agree with raymond ... if it wasnt doing it b4 the oil change then most likely you drowned the valve stem seals and it was just sucking oil down the guides

drive it a bit and see if it dont clear up

Run it..if the plugs on that side of the engine look the same as they alwaus did, ignore it..It will go away.

-
Back