Changes to My 71 Demon

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well...pulled engine with transmission. As i am getting rid of the low gear set transmission. Going back to the standard 2.45/1.45 gear set. Trying to calm the starting line launch down.

Installing the spare trans that i just rebuild that came out of the 71 Dart a couple of months ago...also will use the converter that came with that trans. It will have a few hundred rpm more flash them current converter.

Also removing the /6 torsion bars, and going back to the 318 bars that are little thicker. And last, removing the mopar m1 single plane intake and going to the Eddy Victor intake...

Have no idea if what effects this will have on the ET/mph. But this engine ran faster with the Victor on it went it was in the 71 Dart.....so time will tell... hope to have it all back together by next Wednesday...as i want to go on vacation...lol...retired...and i need a vacation...lol

Took a few pictures...

Motor and old trans, needed to take some parts off it....Transbrake, Aluminum Pan, Reinforced Band Strut....

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 727
I am curious why the torsion bars have to go. Is the car nose heavy ? Street use ?........though the Moroso water pump tells me probably not.
I'd think that they would allow for faster weight transfer to the rear on launch.
If the car is getting light in the front , would a limiter be the answer ?
Not questioning your approach.....just wondering if I am missing something.

mobile oil jugs are where I drained the transmission into...the /6 torsion bars are dead.....

no street use....look in signature for car.....

Morning shift,,,,,

got the transbrake bolted in...pan on....converter installed in trans...and trans bolted to back of block again with CSR shield...

Tonight....hook up flexplate to converter.....and change out intake manifold...i hope..

Attachments

• IMG_0872.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 689
Ok..back to work tonight....got the mopar M1 off...clean up the old Victor...will have them together tomorrow afternoon...and need to hook up flexplate to converter...and will adjust valves since i will have the valve cover off..

bad thing ...i did not realize i had two victor intakes...i really need to inventory this stuff one of these days..

ok...dam...i get the intake gasket on with all the rtv and whatever, set the intake down, starting screwing in bolts...and the last bolt i install which goes next to port number 6 ...one of those pain in *** spots...and you need to use a little bit shorter bolt ...and it starts..and never stops turning...F-bomb...

off comes the intake and all the rtv and gasket.......clean all the crap up.....realize I dont have any heli coils of 3/8-16....drive to parts store....drill...tap...and now i realize the insert tool is in other tool box at home....

too dam hot....i quick for until tonight...

ok...Victor intake now on.....converter and flexplate bolted together.....someone painted the flexplate and converter....wow...they were smart....

tomorrow is torsion bar swap out day...the engine goes in either tomorrow night or friday morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0883.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 615
Well..went to change out the torsion bars....first..i try to remove old bars..starting with driver side...back off adjuster and use torsion bar tool...knock it out of socket...but...holy bat ****...the drive shaft loop that i welded in between the frame rails is dead on it the way...the bar will not come out....

then i look at the bars that came with the car...thought they were 318 bars..nope 340 bars...so i dont want that thick of a bar....so the /6 bars will stay in car for now...and i will redesign the loop to allow the bars to be removed..

But i got the engine back in the car this morning....just need to hook up a few things..adjust the valves and should be ready to go by tomorrow afternoon....but the next race is a month away...

Got a few more things button up on the car tonight......carb installed...fuel lines ..passenger side of the headers done..radiator back in and hose hooked up...throttle linkage...

gotta...hook up trans linkage...starter..(oh fun as always)....tighten up cross member bolts...u joint bolts on rear....and driver side header.....tranny fluid and water....oil filter goes back on...

adjust valves....put distributor back in...fire and time engine..oh...

got the cross member stuff done...u joints in rear done..tranny fluid..dip stick...water done..oil filter back on..adjusted valves...put distributor back in.....

no fire engine...starter is broke.....wire to the solenoid came out...LOL

Are you running this electrical water pump in the street or the car is just for racing?

HEV5663AS

INT .626"
EXH .642"

that is with the 1.6 rockers......gross lift.

HEV5663AS

INT .626"
EXH .642"

that is with the 1.6 rockers......gross lift.

That s what i call LIFT!!

I supose that you're not using OOTB eddy heads with this ammount of lift, how many machine work you have to do in the spring seats, and what are the springs you're using?

Those heads were done by Modern Cylinder Head out of Michigan....

The heads were CNC and use Hughes 1111 springs set at 140 lbs on the seat @ 1.80 height....

That cam is an older Hughes solid lifter cam...

I believe these heads and short block have been together for 5 yrs now.

Ok,.,,back from vacation....

got the new starter on today, driverside headers on....transmission cable hooked back up...

water in radiator, ignition cap and wires on.....got engined fired up again....

new trans...wheels mioved...need more trans fluid...did not engage the trans brakes....

engine sound sour....and the last thing i did was adjust the valves....well...probably got one too tight or something...tomorrows job...

Pulled valve covers and ran thru the adjustment again...I had backed off all the jam nuts and adjusters...well...I missed one during the previous adjustment....#3 intake was "really" loose...re-adjusted ,,,

fired engine and everything sound great.....

going to realign the front end in the next couple of days...and be ready for august 23 TnT..

Adjusted front end height this morning..now moving on to checking the front end alignment...everything seems to be good except the toe, it is toed out....which is what I thought...since the dam thing wants to go all over the place in high gear....

well..the weekend is approaching...racing Saturday night....TnT at 5 pm to 9 pm...the bracket race later than night.....

put some new front tires and wheels....on demon...came off the front of 71 Dart...lol..

now finally got Pro Stars front and back.....

Good luck in the race Tony, dont forget to inform us about your results on the track!

Never understood how a retired person goes on vacation.....looks like you busted your tail to get it all done....Congratulations....

vacation for retired people....endless summer....LOL..

I try to keep myself busy....vacation means I aint doing ****.....LOL

I usually have a list or schedule of things to do...actually set goals of getting this or that done...

included in my daily schedules are usually naps......with no scheduled start or stop times....

-
Back