Changing color on interior parts

-

SlotCarWon

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked but I could not find it by using the search feature. (but did find a great topic about using Simple Green to clean the vinyl interior parts and that worked fantastic!)

I have some interior vinyl parts that I'd like to change the color of, going from light green to black. I'm not sure what product would look closest to an original part. I have heard the following:
Dupli-Color is too glossy or too flat
Mopaint is good
SEM is good

I would like to get SEM products because I can buy them locally but I'm not sure if I should get the "Color Coat" or the "Classic Coat" and they have about 4 differnt colors of black.

Any input greatly appreciated.

SEM Landau black is perfect. Regardless what cleaner you use you need to use the vynil prep solution just before spraying. Ask for it wherever the SEM products are sold.

I also changed the color of my interior parts from green to landau black,
worked great, ALTHOUGH.. I spoke to the guys at EASTWOOD at the Fall Carlisle Event and was told the prep was a waste. They told me to really scrub the piece real good with dish soap and HOT! water, Then to rinse it very througly with alot of hot water, Then lighty spray the first coat, wait twenty minutes then continue as normal. Cant say thats THE way to do it, but I did with mine, and all pieces came out great. (kick panels,a pillar,sunvisor, etc) Guess well see if it holds up.

Just FYI

Counterpoint ; the vynil prep is a solvent almost identical to the pvc pipe cleaner that plumbers use. It'll do a much better job of removing armorall, etc.. than any houshold soap can.

Didnt think of that, just felt weird a company NOT trying to sell me another product they carry! Next time ill get the prep.. Thanks

i have dyed many panels,including seats,and rubber floor mats,the best solvent to really clean all the armour all off is any degreaser,like purple stuff,etc,with gray scotch brite pads,then rinse and dry.then wipe down with rubbing alcohol.i have just skipped to the rubbing alcohol on parts that were already clean looking,or cardboard backed,and have had great success.the sem products are awsome,but if you have a cheap paint gun,professinal dyes from companys like dupont,martin senour,ppg,etc,are the best,and dry almost instantly.they will also last much longer on high wear areas,like seats,and arm rests.thats what i use,good luck!

Thanks for all of the good advice & guidance, I'm very happy with my results.

I purchased the SEM Landau black and the prep. I first cleaned the door panels with simple green and rinsed throughly. I let them dry in the house for a few days while I waited for good weather to spray on the new color.
I used the prep as directed and then sprayed a very ligh coat of color, then applied another caot and let it sit over night. The next day I applied two more light coats. The panels look really great!

I did try some Dupli-Color vinyl dye on some old parts and it is way too glossy. The SEM landau black looks pretty close to the original Mopar black.

Used SEM paint, Topped it off with a SEM satin clear coat for extra protection. Looks Great still, been a couple of years. And I DID use the prep

i used SEM on mine also, Turned out very good and durable, looks like it came from the factory that way.

I dont claim to know eeverything but... Those cleaners stated above are corrosive. Granted the can't eat the vynil or the plastics but the thin foam padidng inside the door panel, the glue in the door panel, the hard board and even the staples can be gonners :(
I can only hope you rinsed
and rinsed
and rinsed some more.

-
Back