Changing fuel system

-

charger426

Reaction score
Getting ready to upgrade my fuel system to along with my engine. Couple of questions though.

1. What level should I get the gas tank down to before I take the sending unit out? Going to try and change without dropping the tank or maybe just lowering it. I was thinking at least half a tank but I don't know. I just took the car out today and forgot I filled it for winter already so I guess I'm going to be driving it around to use some gas up.

2. How can I prime the new system to get ready for the new motor. I'm changing to a 3/8 line which wont hook up to the stock /6 pump right? So how can I get the gas through the new line and ready for the new motor's first start?

EMPTY it. Even "so called" empty it will have enough in there to make life interestin

Prime? Lots of ways. One is to buy one of those universal "red" siphon pumps from the parts joint. They are handy for all kinds of stuff

One 'o these

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=206500&gclid=CJquxJzuk8oCFUhcfgodY4QCBQ

206500_1_700x700.jpg

I do have a few of those pumps. They work great for changing rear end fluid and MT fluid. Guess k could rig up a way to get that to work.

If your going with a carburetor, you can prime the fuel bowls thru the vents for the bowls. The pump should pick up long before the float bowls go dry. I used a syringe to do this. No issue.

Yep using a demon 850. First time building a motor and having to break one in so I'm pretty nervous about messing something up.

I'm not sure on the demon if it has sight glasses or plugs on the fuel bowls. If plugs remove and fill thru vents til fuel is at bottom of plug hole. If sight glasses fill to about a 1/4 way up on glass. If timing is good give it a couple of pumps of the throttle and it should light off. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.

-
Back