changing gear ratios iin 8.25

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
anyone change gears and/or carrier in a 8 1/4? im gonna be taking this task on in a while and want as much advice as i can get. How did it go?

Its been a little while. Well basically it needs to be setup about as percise as you would put your engine together. There are caps that hold the differential in place, that are location/direction specific (like main caps). Those caps hold the differential bearings in place, each bearing will have a shim behind it. That shim will adjust your gear backlash for your ring and pinion. Pinion. Pinion will have a shim behind the bearing that needs to be pressed on. This will give you your pinion depth into the ring gear, important for teeth pattern. behind that goes another bearing, then your crush sleeve. crush sleeve gets squished to a certain point to set preload on the bearing. Checking that preload on the bearing is turning torque.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/5148_custom_rear_end_install/

Its not quite a job for someone new to do alone. Very very wise to find someone thats done it, right, and watch.

how much would the typical shop cost to perform this task?

lets say you have the 8.25" open rear with 2.45 gears. you want 3.55 with suregrip installed. how much would this cost? labor? labor and parts?

how much would the typical shop cost to perform this task?

lets say you have the 8.25" open rear with 2.45 gears. you want 3.55 with suregrip installed. how much would this cost? labor? labor and parts?

Somewhere between $650 - $800 total

Chuck

Backlash is adjusted with threaded adjusters so you only need shims for the pinion depth.

Chuck

Can be done with proper tools. Believe you need an inch pound flex torque wrench, but I think rest are basic hand tools.

I'm sure you know, but just in case, a 2.45 rear will require a different carrier for other ratios. Also, watch for later truck rear end stuff as the spline count is different on the axles. I don't remember what they are off the top, but I think early is 27 spline and late is 29 or something like that.

Cheers

-
Back