changing interior colors

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Hi all. Recently got a 69 Dart with Red interior. The owner changed it from black to red and I want it back to black.

I found I can get a lot new stuff from Legendary Interiors and will start shopping soon.

But, I could not find Kick panels and the A pillar pieces. Aside from E-bay is anyone on here selling them in black? Or know of a reproduction parts company that makes them?

The seats are bucket seats from a 67 Barracuda and have red backs on them. Legendary Interiors seat covers don't have black backs for this year. Does anyone know why or what it is going to take to get them to black? Will it be easier to just find stock black seats and sell the ones I have? They do sell some sort of hard backs for pre 68 but they go under the seat covers, would that work on my seats and just bail the plastic backing? I am going to call them next week, but wanted to ask the fine people of FABO first.

Thanks!

you could always try using a black dye or paint for the seats if they dont have any rips or tears...ive seen it work really well before

you could always try using a black dye or paint for the seats if they dont have any rips or tears...ive seen it work really well before

Yup, did that on my ferd truck we restored a long time ago on some pieces that we couldnt find. Turned out real good, hard to tell it was ever done. A good upolstery shop can do it for you.
Keep year one in mind as they have some interior parts as well.

Thanks for the input. I didn't think Dye would turn out that good, but i could always try it and if I don't like it I can chang eit out then. Worth the savings from the sounds of it though.

I have been looking at Year one also. I'm sure I will use them as well. Just tryiong to get a plan in place and hopefully have eveything piled and reay to be replaced over the winter while I can't drive it.

Where would one find dye? Or is it something that should be done professionally?

Paint the plastic parts. You can get new kick panels with speakers in them but not stock ones.

You know, now that Adam mentioned painting the plastic parts, we probably would have done that on my old ferd, but in 94' the painted plastic craze hadnt hit yet, so we didnt even think of it. Alot of prep work involved in painting plastics, but it looks good if you take your time & do it right.

SEM is a very good brand of vinyl dye. Check with your local auto paint supplier. Also, I think Duplicolor offers these products through most auto parts chain stores.

Simple Green is an excellent all-purpose cleaner you can use to remove dirt and oily finger prints. If you use SEM dye, apply multiple light coats with an air brush to prevent runs or build up in the vinyl's texture.

Jerry

Pep Boys has sold a vinyl dye. Works good on plastic and seats.
But I have found you only want to dye the seats dark color to dark color.
And light color to light color seats.
It does come off sometimes and looks bad otherwise.
It smells like it would be a really not good chemical to breath.
Worse than paint.
So have a resperator.
Be sure and degrease things.

I used SEM products to dye the blue interior in my 68 Barracuda to black. Later I picked up a front seat that was white and dyed that to black with SEM. The stuff works extremely well. Only the piping on the edge of the seat where you slide in and out would wear off and would require touch up once or twice per year.

Use a ammonia based cleaner to clean all the parts several times. Use the vinyl prep on the vinyl parts and plastic prep on the plastic pieces. If you get any fishy eying you didn't clean enough, stop let it dry and clean some more.

The local auto body supply store was out of black dye so I tried Duplicolor dye from the local autozone. This stuff seems to stick and cover as well but it's much more glossy and does not look as natural as the SEM Landau Black.

You can get SEM products from your local autobody supply house or on line at Eastwoods.

If you check out my web page link in the sig line everything you see in the interior pictureis dyed except the carpet and head liner. I did all this back in 2000 and over the past two years I have replaced the upholstery on the seats (they split) with Legendary coversbut everything else is still the orignal dye job from 2000 (I have 50k miles on the car since that time to).

I've had great success painting plastic interior parts in my Intrepid with flat black Duplicolor Interior paint from Autozone...
You simply wipe down the plastic with an ammonia-based cleaner, and then shoot it.
Comes out nice and flat black, looks as though it came black from the factory!
Helped me paint some tan interior upgrades that I got a deal on to match my factory black interior.

As for vinyl dyes, I've never used them, but the steering wheel on my grandfather's 66 Nova SS was black and he had it dyed to match the color of his car.
Came out awesome...

-
Back