Changing out oil pan gasket

-

NJDartman

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm fairly new at this and I'm sure it's been discussed before. I want to change out my oil pan gasket and I've read that you have to lift the engine. I've got a 360 in a '67 Dart. I see I have to pull the steering linkage but is there any easier way to do it than lifting the engine? And if not, could someone explain the procedure to a newbie? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

If you remove the center link the pan should come right out without lifting the engine. I've changed the pan in my '65 Valiant a couple of times with the engine bolted in and removed center link. I would bet the same would be true for the '67 up a-bodies also.

Chuck

I tried that on my '73 when I had to change the rear main....I still had to jack the motor up a little in the front....not much but some. Honestly I'll never do that with the motor in the car again....I'll pull the motor out the next time.....much easier IMO.

In all fairness I should add that I have a hoist so I do all of this standing up. I probably wouldn't do a pan change in the car if I had to do it laying on a creaper.

Chuck

If I have to lift the engine, what about the tranny? Do I have to loosen the mounts? And how much do I have to lift it? Sorry, I'm being a pain I know but just want to get all my ducks in a row before I do this!

-
Back