changing out oil pan while in car- done it?

-
Funny my water well collapsed, and I called homeowners was not surprised when they said it was not covered. A friend of mine went ballistic, said "thats bullshit call a public adjuster" I know one personally texted him in front of the gay and the adjuster said "no damage? not covered" anyway still waiting ion the driller to come out. i had the estimate and the money quicker than anything. The driller was like "15 grand" I said lets do it, I think he wasn't expecting that ...
Yeah, we were very blessed when ours went out. It was a bad pressure switch.

Yeah, we were very blessed when ours went out. It was a bad pressure switch.
I had the plumber come out , he fought with lifting the pump out it was encased in clay/mud so I have an idea what happened .It also was clogging the filter with clay mud for almost a year prior off and on. it gave warning signs.

I had the plumber come out , he fought with lifting the pump out it was encased in clay/mud so I have an idea what happened .It also was clogging the filter with clay mud for almost a year prior off and on. it gave warning signs.
How deep is yours? Ours is 340'.

How deep is yours? Ours is 340'.
I believe the plumber said 120 feet. the driller has quoted going down 500 if he has to. I'm thinking they'll go down 200. there is a quarry nearby and the locals say that has something to do with it. But my well I'm thinking is 60 -70 years old.

I believe the plumber said 120 feet. the driller has quoted going down 500 if he has to. I'm thinking they'll go down 200. there is a quarry nearby and the locals say that has something to do with it. But my well I'm thinking is 60 -70 years old.
We have two quarries within two miles of here, BUT compared to them, we are on REAL high ground.

I can just hear that conversation....."Hello, insurance company? I just lost my house in a lava flow......hello? hello?"

I lost two cars in the lava- they are sitting under about 70ft of rock right now. They were at a mechanic friends house where we were working on it. He was almost directly on top of the first fissure. When I called Gieco they were "um, wut"? The guy that does the totals for Gieco in Hawaii was fairly amused- I think we lost like 2500 cars in the flow. I was evacuated 4 times and ended up sleeping on my office floor in town for almost 3 months. Good times.

My minivan was a National rental from Hawaii, the entire undercarriage is orange surface rust. Just a basketball colored patina on everything. Bolts were OK so far.

Yep, that is the red cinder. All my vehicles have it. My road was originally paved with red cinder. It's called "red road".

I lost two cars in the lava- they are sitting under about 70ft of rock right now. They were at a mechanic friends house where we were working on it. He was almost directly on top of the first fissure. When I called Gieco they were "um, wut"? The guy that does the totals for Gieco in Hawaii was fairly amused- I think we lost like 2500 cars in the flow. I was evacuated 4 times and ended up sleeping on my office floor in town for almost 3 months. Good times.
Dammit man. WHAT will stop lava? Nothing, I guess.

I was ready to eat supper. Now, not so much.
I do apologize, i meant no harm by it

On a side note, i have been in what is claimed to be the darkest place on earth

A tunnel system cut out of the ground by lava
It simply melted the rock it poured on and left and awesome tunnel/cave system

Impressive for sho

There are lava "worm holes" in a Utah state park i went to. Interesting tunnels......

I think I picked my engine up a little bit with the cherry picker but I did my oil pan gasket in the car on my slant. If it's just got a hole ...Maybe you can try pouring some welding a patch over it, outside of pan,drain oil first.
Or as my friend did...rough the hell out the of the pad and right stuff a thin piece of roughed up tool kit lid metal.
It held.

If you caved it in, then I'd remove it and get a new one.

One good look at Hillarys boobs will freeze it right over, im betting

I have met her personally. Nice lady actually. Talked with her a couple times in Anchorage. Interesting story about how that even came about. She worked the canneries like so many young folks did in the 70s in Alaska. She really gets a bad press from the right wing media.

There are lava "worm holes" in a Utah state park i went to. Interesting tunnels......

We call them lava tubes- they can go miles and miles long here. the Thurston lava tube up in the national park is a major tourist atraction- the ones in my back yard are not so fun.

Anyone know the actual stock nut size on the exhaust flange? I was working last night late on it, and was trying to get an 11/16 or 3/4 socket on it and 11/16 was too small and 3/4 was too big, It's not the stock exhaust, and I hope someone didn't us metric bolts in the flange!

17mm is common so is 15. For some reason modern Chrysler uses 13mm (caliper bolts) and that's usually not included in the $5.99 trunk socket set.

Looking at my replacement pan and the gasket, sealing it really good would be a real ***** in the car even lifted a bit- It's just about out now, almost had it out last night, it was late, and the exhaust was giving me fits, so trying again tommorow morning in better light

Usually /6 exhaust flange is threaded in the manifold 7/16-14 which would take either a 5/8 or possibly an 11/16" socket, but years of rust can change that.
If they snap off so what, grind the stubs flush, center punch and drill them out, and put a nut and bolt thru instead.

Usually /6 exhaust flange is threaded in the manifold 7/16-14 which would take either a 5/8 or possibly an 11/16" socket, but years of rust can change that.
If they snap off so what, grind the stubs flush, center punch and drill them out, and put a nut and bolt thru instead.
Yep, that is the last resort, but got my "gas wrench" moved over there today LOL

I was just going to suggest the exact same thing. I used 3/8-16 thru bolts and nuts. You can even use brass nuts if you're so inclined. After 5 yrs I had them off this summer and it's about a one minute job. I also used a Remflex gasket at the joint this time.

After replacing my pan twice, in the car and out of the car, you'll wish you had the engine out. The/ 6 pan is long and unwieldly while working underneath. Be extremely careful when replacing the 2 bolts in the aluminum rear main seal housing and don't cross thread them.

One advantage you have is the lava-heated pavement. I'll be working on the underside of my 68 soon and the concrete is brutally cold.

I was just going to suggest the exact same thing. I used 3/8-16 thru bolts and nuts. You can even use brass nuts if you're so inclined. After 5 yrs I had them off this summer and it's about a one minute job. I also used a Remflex gasket at the joint this time.

After replacing my pan twice, in the car and out of the car, you'll wish you had the engine out. The/ 6 pan is long and unwieldly while working underneath. Be extremely careful when replacing the 2 bolts in the aluminum rear main seal housing and don't cross thread them.

One advantage you have is the lava-heated pavement. I'll be working on the underside of my 68 soon and the concrete is brutally cold.
When I was stationed in the Philippines, the roads on base were partly made of smooth volcanic rock. Sure wore the tires down fast!

Well, yep, somone used metric bolts on the exhaust flange- upside they are stainless and were not corroded at all, so keeping them LOL. Got the engine out, cleaned the motor top to bottom, and the engine bay (my boys did lots of this work) put new valve cover gasket, fuel pump gasket and oil pan on the motor, ready to drop back in now.

-
Back