Changing Power Steering Pump

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
Ok, Probably a easy task but I need help. Bought a new PS Pump has a smooth shaft with the end threaded out. My old pump has a threaded part in the pulley. What is the easiest way to get it off. I put a bolt in pulley and tried to thread it in to see if it would push it off while holding the hexed part on pulley, no luck.
Thanks,

Threaded pulley??? never seen one. Press-on pulleys have a hub with a lip for a special puller. Reinstalling a pulley with a threaded shaft pump can be done with an impact gun on the bolt or with a press (which is the way I do it) Posting some photos of your setup would help getting you the correct info you need to finish the job.

Pulley is female threaded

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 170
  • pulley.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 190
That pulley needs the puller I mentioned to remove it without damage. Try to find a bolt that fits the threads in that shaft so you can use it to press against with the puller and to reinstall the pulley if you don't have a press.

Thanks, wanted a good answer before I damaged something,
Thanks again you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Hi

what make is that pump? I have that pump on the dart I just bought & the pressure hose is leaking because the previous owner put on the wrong hose (it doesn't seat right). I would like to know so I can get the right one.

Thanks

Harbor Freight has a "pulley puller" set (~$15) that worked on my p.s. pulley. Often the rebuilt pulley comes with a bolt and nut to install the pulley. That is all you need. Getting them off is the hard part. If you use a press, do that before you put the reservoir on.

Casaroonc,
His pump is either the TRW or the Federal pump. They look almost identical from the front and I don't know the markings. TRW was used on small block V-8's until ~1970 on cars w/ a cast-iron water pump (lower hose on driver's side) and Federal or Saginaw on ~1970+ small blocks. TRW pumps have 2 bolts in a long channel on the rear. As I recall mine, TRW pumps have an inverted flare high pressure fitting and Federal pumps an O-ring fitting, but may vary w/ year. The other end on the steering gear's valve body also varies. I had an early one (small shaft) w/ a male flare fitting and a later (large shaft) one with an O-ring fitting. To be safe, measure your fittings. Autozone's site detailed the ends and also had the best prices when I bought a power hose several weeks ago.

Install complete. Went to Auto Zone gota pulley puller for a deposit of $40 and pulley went on/off with no problem. The Pump was from NAPA and was the one listed for my vehicle. It came with reservoir installed the only issue is the paint has already peeled with a drip of PS Fluid wiped off.

-
Back