Changing rear end bolt pattern.

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to change a rear axle bolt pattern from big bolt 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 4 small bolt pattern.

I have either a Ford 8.8 or Chrysler 8.25 and I am running it in a valiant wagon with drums on the front so I want all the wheels to match the small bolt pattern. I am NOT changing the car to front disc, it's staying drums all around.

Any ideas?

You could redrill it or just get a free 7.25 from someone as they are unpopular with the mod crowd. There are 8.75 rears that are 5 on 4 but they are $$$ now.

You could redrill it or just get a free 7.25 from someone as they are unpopular with the mod crowd. There are 8.75 rears that are 5 on 4 but they are $$$ now.
I have a few 7.25s laying around but lack of sure grip units and highway gears rule them out.

An 8.75 is too expensive and over kill for this car.

If you have an 8 3/4 you can get stock 5x4 SBP axles, assuming the rear is an a body rear or sized correctly. You will have to get the matching backing plates also, 5x4 SBP A body axles come up fairly often.

They have wheel adaptors to from SBP TO BBP

So does anyone know if adaptors exist that go from BBP to SBP??

You can have the axles & drums redrilled easily enough, but while they're at the machine shop remember to have them turn down the center register, too- otherwise your sbp wheels will never seat on the drums.
Edit: When turning down the center register, you may need to "step" it; leaving enough of the original diameter to center your brake drum, and stepping it down after the drum thickness to the wheel register size...

Last edited:
-
Back