Changing spark plugs in a small block 360 Any recommendations on which brands are the best to use?

-
There’s nothing actually wrong with those as you likely know. Throw out all the marketing nonsense, and they’re just a spark plug. Gap em, run em. I bought into the marketing when they first came out and ran them in an old 74 Sportster XLCH 74” built stroker that had kickstart w/magneto ignition. Ran great, had to be the plugs! :lol:
The only problem i have is they are big so won't fit in my Edlebrock, or Mopar Aluminum heads.
Kinda funny kinda look lime E3 plugs.
They were and still are good plugs, but were sued out of biz for Snake Oil claims.
If i ever used my ported J heads or O heads they will get used. But bet that never happens.

I think the Slit Fire thing comes down to "do they actually split the spark?" I would think not the spark is going to pick path of least resistance.

Yes they will just jump to whatever one but not have both fire.

Thanks for reminding me that my two cycle chainsaw needs a new champion plug. I’d put an Autolite in it but I Dont want it to get away from me and cut something I need off. Like a finger or a toe.

David Vizard in his book “How To Build Horsepower” mentions using Autolite Racing plugs and then grinding back further the ground electrode, as well as doing it on regular plugs. I dabbled with it as well as indexing them but geez, there’s enough things to do elsewhere already. Screw all that. Like I mentioned before I just use Denso Iridiums vs doing all that work:rolleyes:

E0F64F56-B469-4C24-8236-87C88FA29CC5.jpeg

43F36B42-9669-4F6B-B310-EB963CB8BE63.jpeg

Just an aside- Splitfires used to be made down the road from me.....by hand!

I stumbled into the "factory" one day circa 1990 while looking for an electrical supply store for a side job I had.

It was about a 25x25 storage warehouse type unit with a custom grinding jig in one corner.

There was a pallet of plugs in the center of the room.

They were special order "no logo" Autolites.

The one person in the room explained to me what he was doing and what the theory was.

I thought it sounded pretty cool.

I like Champion plugs, that's all I run. 65'
Hello, I have been drag racing for 28 yrs and building numerous cars for myself and others,that said I will not use anything but NGK, for a long reach plug try BR8ES they are actually a snowmobile plug and they will not foul and if do they quickly clean themselves up.

And they also make that with a 5/8 hex for the small blocks. I'll go out and find the number for you

BCPR5ES is the 5/8" hex plug you need. Unless the engine is at max rpm for sustained periods of time [ circle track racing ] or uses a power adder, you need the 5 heat range, not the MUCH colder 8.

The engine will run best if you use some spark plugs that spark.

Dusty2 red Xed me.
He must know that Granddad uses 16 lighting rods cause he has dual plug 392 heads on his mower. (I didn't want to tell Granddads speed mowing secret.) The other 8 lighting rods came from the house and corn crib and 1 came from the outhouse roof. (No more pooping during an electrical storm.)
So sorry for the Red x. Not my intention. When scrolling on my tablet I must have inadvertently hit the red x and didn't notice. Red x should be elsewhere. I enjoy your humour! I have removed.

So sorry for the Red x. Not my intention. When scrolling on my tablet I must have inadvertently hit the red x and didn't notice. Red x should be elsewhere. I enjoy your humour! I have removed.
I figured you probably fat fingered it. I do that sometimes too. Anyway I wasn't offended.
I really like the picture of me on the mower that @Ottmundr posted in post #40. Of course that was before grandad put the blower on it and the 16 plug heads. He wanted to get that yard mowed as fast as possible.
Another one of Grandad's Secrets was he would bend his mower blades in the shape of a boomerang. That way if they came flying off they would always return to the mower and he didn't have to go looking for them.
You should ask me about the time that Don Garlits challenged Granddad to a match race. It was swamp rat 4 or 5 against Grandpa's mower.

Last edited:
Left handed thumb scrolling avoids inadvertent clicks on those likes, agrees and so on I’ve found but it’s hard to train yourself if you aren’t left handed to begin with. Being society is predominantly right handed it should be mandatory that all emojis, tabs etc should be on the left side. Would help tone down the hair trigger combative seething rage some resort to at times. :lol:

-
Back