changing sparkplugs in 440.....uggh

-

slim17265

Reaction score
just bought 68 Coronet RT 440 with 55,000 original miles. the sparkplugs were never changed. the sparkplug boots were permanently annealed to the sparkplug porcelin, had to cut them off. I noticed that although it is a HP block they have some kind of log manifold on it which is kind of big and prevents you from working on top on most plugs, in fact the three on the passenger side had to be gotten from the bottom and the front passenger side needed an 13/16" open end, nothing else would do, took 2hours and 20 minutes a god awful job. anybody done this and come up with better tools or procedure? I have 1000's of tools and the only thing that worked remotely was a small 3/8" ratchet with a 1" extension..I plan on pulling the heads soon to mill them and I am now thinking of attaching the correct 6 pack exhaust manifolds and sparkplugs before bolting on. any thoughts here people.

My friend has a 71 Challenger R/T 440 with the stock HP manifolds and it is a similar experience to change plugs, however I made it a little easier by swapping the 452 heads for edelbrocks. The angle plugs on the edelbrocks are slightly easier to change
LOL

Can you post a pic of the manifold/head in the car? Usually on a B you can reach teh plugs with a std plug socket, and a low profile wratchet...

Man, I got carpal-tunnel from trying to change the plugs in a 440 New Yorker(A tuna boat). Anyway, it is much much easier to loosen the wheel, lift, remove the wheel, and there in front of your shioud be those damn plugs and wires. Unless the suspension is different or there is a splash-shield your car has that the fat hog I was messing around with??
Didn't figure that out till the brake pads were checked right after the plugs were changed in the most painfull/difficult way. :wack:

Hope that info helps you, Im sure that it will, thos manifolds are like an inch away from the inner fender.

I find it easiest to use a 3/8 wratchet, plug socket, and 13/16 wrench the easiest. Put your right arm under the alternator, and you can reach back to get the plugs out easy. You can reach your left arm back there if you're standing in front of the car. the LH ones arent too bad with the socket and only the wrench.

I think it was Snap On that had a ball and socket swivel spark plug socket, that you could add more swivels to. Back in the '80's I did a bunch of tune ups on Big blocks. Most could be done from the top with this socketand a long extension.
Man I don't miss the burns. I also had picked up a set of Kevlar arm bands, and could lay my arm right on the hot manifold and never feel the heat.
Tune ups usually took between 15 and 30 min depending on the car. Sucked working for commission, but it made me better, and faster at it.

Yeah what moper said. I had a 68 383 GTS Dart. I would take out the 1/2 bolt on the alt. bracket out and flip it up. Then take the plugs out front to back and install back to front. It only took about 15 mins.
For BB A Body owners: On the drives side I used a piece of 3/8 rubber fuel line over the end of the spark plug to reach around the steering column and put the plug back in.

-
Back