changing to electronic dist.

-

340demon

old man
Reaction score
i needed to change points in my dual point 340 dist but could not find a new set so decided to put in the old tach drive dist (no. p3690422) and box (p3690560) and get a new vac. advance dist at a later date this box is blue with a gold heat sink and is called a super stock or nasccar that i use when we raced the car in the 70'ds and it is a 5 wire box i noted that the instructions for wiring the set was different for tach drive dist and vac. addvance dist. the tach drive requires two ballast one with 4 pins and one with two pins the 4 pin has one set with 5 ohms rest.and one set with .5 ohms rest. the two pin has .5 ohm rest. the vac dist only uses the 4 pin ballast WHY the job is done and works well but we are going to a show that is 3 hr from home on back roads an are not sure about the relibity thank for any help

The old 5-pin boxes and dual element ballast resistors are obsolete. Sooner or later the box will die and you will need to replace it. Go 4-pin then. Why did Chrysler switch to 4-pin? It worked better and the single element ballast was more robust and failed less often.

-
Back