Charging

-

klingon

Reaction score
If your battery cable is lose would it drain your battery a bit when driving and not charge your battery

Disconnecting either battery cable while the alternator is operating will usually cause the alternator output voltage to spike and sometimes that will kill the alternator or VR. Is the alternator not now charging, assuming you cleaned up the battery connections?

I take post off of battery car dies

Why would you do this?

Where did you get this idea?

You did not read this in any recognized mechanics training text, in any service manual, nor in any mechanics class.

THIS IS NOT a legitimate test for anything and may damage something as mentioned above

=======================================

WHY?

A......Condishun Whone:

The alternator is working fine, but you are at a low idle speed possibly with the heater on, and the alternator is simply not outputting very much. Remove the cable, it dies, you think "bad alternator" when in fact, it's "fine."

B.....Condishon Ta-whoooo:

The alternator has "some" diodes blown, etc, which allows it to charge somewhat but not enough. Maybe it's only outputting a maximum of 5-10 amps, just enough to run the engine, but cause problems with other loads

You unhook the cable and it still runs, and you erroneously decide "it is fine" when in fact it is not

You need to learn to speak (type) with some more detail

1........What are "we" working on?

I don't know if you are talking about a Fiat-Allis crawler, and if so what year / model / options

ac16r.jpg

or a Messershmitt ME-109 which as been converted to Merlin power

me-109-buchon-fighter.jpg

2......So besides disconnecting the battery cable, what diagnostics have you done? There are hundreds of posts on this board, but if you want a serious answer you need to give us more information

3......A.......so year make and model

B....does it have the factory wiring harness, or have modifications been made?

C....What do you have in the way of an alternator, IE Mopar before 70, Mopar after 70, Denso, Delco, Ford, other?

D.....What do you have in the way of a regulator, IE Mopar before 70, Mopar after 70, other?

I assume your talking about red post & your working on a older car, because you should never do it on a new one with brain box!... Sounds like an bad alternator!... More detail would help!

-
Back