Cheap Body Panels?

-

Glenn Gosnell

Verulam69
Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first time posting in this forum so allow me to introduce myself: I'm a broke teenager who owns a 1969 Dodge Dart Custom, and am currently in the process of restoring it. So far I have around 1300 dollars to spend which through lots of searching will get me: Trunk Extensions (L & R), Rear Quarter Skins (L & R), Rear Cross Rail, and possibly a floor pan. Note this is from two different places: Classic Industries, and NPD, was looking for information on if there were even cheaper/more reliable places to find panels and such. I would also Like to not I have included taxes or shipping yet but with summer fast approaching I should be able to make a good chunk of change this summer to afford the rest. I still also need two inner fender patches, and possibly rocker panels (I'm iffy on if I want to replace the entire thing or use a **** ton of Bondo to fill in the rust pits on the underside). Of course there is also paint after I complete the sanding and replacing process. Looking for advice any advice is welcome. Here is a couple images of of before (Right) and a couple months back before I had done even more (Left). Yes it looked good in the picture; but I can assure you, it is a very deceiving picture, there is plenty of cancerous rust I have removed through many hours.
View attachment 1715895490View attachment 1715895491

car.jpg

car3.jpg

Nice project.
You will learn a lot of skills, both automotive-mechanical and personal discipline-budgetary through the process of rebuilding the car.
My best advice to you is be careful to not put the car ahead of everything else. Certainly make it dependable and safe, but don’t go crazy thinking you need to make it perfect.
Plan to drive it and enjoy it.
On your question about replacement panels, I have always heard that you get what you pay for, meaning that the cheaper panels may require more fitting time. And that would be important if you were paying a shop hourly rate, but if you are doing the work yourself it may not be that big of a deal.

Nice project.
And that would be important if you were paying a shop hourly rate, but if you are doing the work yourself it may not be that big of a deal.
Thanks for the reply, I am installing the panels myself. But I will keep this in mind! I am by no means trying to make it perfect but future-proof at the least.

Where are you located? I have a complete rear half of a 69 Dart 4-door I need to move along for $800 in Rockford, IL. There is no rust on it at all except one small part of the trunk pan for the spare tire...

Dart quarters.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that there are only two manufacturers of body panels that I know of, AMD and Goodmark. You are referencing retailers who don't make the parts, only sell them. Stephens Performance is a HUGE AMD dealer or you can go straight to AMD. AMD is the better quality, by a good bit.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are only two manufacturers of body panels that I know of, AMD and Goodmark. You are referencing retailers who don't make the parts, only sell them. Stephens Performance is a HUGE AMD dealer or you can go straight to AMD. AMD is the better quality, by a good bit.
If you want REALLY cheap body panels then go to Sherman and Associates, put them on my 69 Dart in 1979 and they sucked bad! Eventually had to buy used rust free quarters from Arizona...

For floor pans save your money and buy the cheaper ones. Unless you need a full pan then your stuck going with AMD. Go with the better quality for the quarters. However, I dont think AMD sells skins anymore, just the full quarters. Do NOT buy cheap trunk extensions, they are junk. Even the AMD ones require some fitting but some of the cheap ones fit so bad its ridiculous. The AMD ones usually only require very minor work and sometimes none at all.
For AMD stuff I go straight through AMD. Search around on auto body specialt's website for the cheaper panels. Buy Auto Body Parts Online | Autobody Specialties
I have found the inner fenders are accurate and fit well no matter where you get them. The AMD ones are slightly thicker than the cheap ones. Not enough difference to worry about though.
If you end up doing outer rockers, wait and do them last after you get some experience. Locating them is critical.

If you are good at body work, and like doing it, - don't mind spending additional hours doing what shouldn't be nec, - then buy another brand than AMD.

Welcome! Great project. 55 years ago, I was in your shoes. I stuck with it, basically taught myself everything, and now I can do pretty much everything. My first question is always, "Can you weld?" If not, body panels are tough to install. May I make a suggestion? We are here to help you. Make a comprehensive list of what your car needs and how bad each part is. From what you are saying, I'd add rockers to that list. Be honest about the list. Then make a list of the order you might consider installing those pieces in. Think about that order carefully. Then make a list of the automotive skills you have. Then take a hard look at all three lists. The skills list will be quite important. If you lack a skill, find a friend to help/teach. If there is a FABO guy or gal nearby, I bet they would volunteer. I have spent hundreds of hours helping strangers (now friends) learn such skills. I am sure there are others of us who could help. Do not get discouraged. When I am working on a big project, people ask me how I keep motivated. I picture in my mind what it will look like and dream about how much fun it will be to drive. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and always post pictures when possible. GOOD LUCK.

Where are you located? I have a complete rear half of a 69 Dart 4-door I need to move along for $800 in Rockford, IL. There is no rust on it at all except one small part of the trunk pan for the spare tire...

I may be potentially interested, and it doesn't have excessive amounts of bondo on it either?

For floor pans save your money and buy the cheaper ones. Unless you need a full pan then your stuck going with AMD. Go with the better quality for the quarters. However, I dont think AMD sells skins anymore, just the full quarters. Do NOT buy cheap trunk extensions, they are junk. Even the AMD ones require some fitting but some of the cheap ones fit so bad its ridiculous. The AMD ones usually only require very minor work and sometimes none at all.
For AMD stuff I go straight through AMD. Search around on auto body specialt's website for the cheaper panels. Buy Auto Body Parts Online | Autobody Specialties
I have found the inner fenders are accurate and fit well no matter where you get them. The AMD ones are slightly thicker than the cheap ones. Not enough difference to worry about though.
If you end up doing outer rockers, wait and do them last after you get some experience. Locating them is critical.
Thanks for these links MoparMike1974, I will keep the trunk extensions in mid. The rockers due to my budget may end up getting patches with some sheet metal because it is only in real rough shape on the very bottom.

Welcome! Great project. 55 years ago, I was in your shoes. I stuck with it, basically taught myself everything, and now I can do pretty much everything. My first question is always, "Can you weld?" If not, body panels are tough to install. May I make a suggestion? We are here to help you. Make a comprehensive list of what your car needs and how bad each part is. From what you are saying, I'd add rockers to that list. Be honest about the list. Then make a list of the order you might consider installing those pieces in. Think about that order carefully. Then make a list of the automotive skills you have. Then take a hard look at all three lists. The skills list will be quite important. If you lack a skill, find a friend to help/teach. If there is a FABO guy or gal nearby, I bet they would volunteer. I have spent hundreds of hours helping strangers (now friends) learn such skills. I am sure there are others of us who could help. Do not get discouraged. When I am working on a big project, people ask me how I keep motivated. I picture in my mind what it will look like and dream about how much fun it will be to drive. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and always post pictures when possible. GOOD LUCK.
Thanks for the response harrisonm, I can weld some and have skilled a family member who is activley in the trade to help me with that portion.

My Would Be Absolute Best List:
Quarter Skins (LR)
Rockers (LR)
Top portions of Inner Fenders (LR)
Trunk Extensions (LR)
Rear Cross Rail
Front Floor Pan
Bumpers (Front and Back)
Front Fender (LR)
Paint
Clear Coat

The Reality List:
Quarter Skins (LR)
Trunk Extensions (LR)
Rear Cross Rail
Front Floor Pan
The rockers and front (inner and outer) fenders due to my limited budget I am going to have to use regular sheet metal for.

The Future List:
Two-Barrel Intake Manifold
Two-Barrel Carb
Electronic Ignition System (Replacing the original points ignition)
Low Boost Turbo and hardware (I've heard that turbo'd slant sixes make amazing fuel economy)
Stereo
Front Disc Break Swap kit (Mechanical Drum breaks just are not the vibe)

In regards to the rest of your questions, motivation for me isn't a problem, usually finding time when I'm not exhausted is between rigorous courses at school and sports. However I am always able to work on it for at least 2-8 hours a week. I appreciate your reply!

Last edited:
I may be potentially interested, and it doesn't have excessive amounts of bondo on it either?
There is zero bondo on it, original paint. I used the front clip off it for another car 15 years ago and has been sitting inside and outside since then. Been inside since 2017 and sitting where you see it in the picture. I sold the 7-1/4 rear a couple years ago and put it up on the wheels. And I have pretty much everything on your list except front floor pans, been into 67-69 Darts for 43 years and am currently selling off my inventory of 250,000 parts and parts cars as I am moving to Tennessee from Illinois in the fall, so things gots to go!

There is zero bondo on it, original paint. I used the front clip off it for another car 15 years ago and has been sitting inside and outside since then. Been inside since 2017 and sitting where you see it in the picture. I sold the 7-1/4 rear a couple years ago and put it up on the wheels. And I have pretty much everything on your list except front floor pans, been into 67-69 Darts for 43 years and am currently selling off my inventory of 250,000 parts and parts cars as I am moving to Tennessee from Illinois in the fall, so things gots to go!
Got a way I can contact you? You are not overly far from me and I would be very happy to purchase things from you.

My advice is make it solid, as in NO rust. Maka it a safe driver and not spend the next 20 years in a garage. You can make it straight and pretty as $ permit.
Like bumpers. Use decent used bumpers One day you can afford pretty ones.

View attachment 1715895543
Jim, what is that cowl section off? I need some inner stuff for my Demon under the hinge pillar. Shoot me your number I lost it. I'll be around this weekend if you're back from Your trip.

-
Back