Cheap & easy stereo solution for '72

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to get some better tunes in my car. I Researched Retrosound stereos (required cutting my dash), thought about a hidden stereo head unit, considered having my AM radio rebuilt to include FM and input jack, etc. All of those options required serious $$.

For now, I have a $50 solution. I picked up a Bluetooth (wireless) speaker that sounds pretty good from Radio Shack. I used double stick tape to attach it to my GPS antiskid mount (no adhesive needed). Now it rides on my dash with no wires or permanent mounting holes and it doesn't slide around. I can play iTunes or Pandora from my iPhone via Bluetooth. The speaker runs on a rechargeable battery that lasts 6 hours (which is more than my weekly seat time). When I arrive at work, I lift and store the speaker out of sight.

I realize this is not a solution for everyone and it doesn’t compare to a real stereo system. But it gets me the cruising tunes I was wanting and it couldn’t be easier. And if I decide I don’t like it, I haven’t altered the car at all.

photo.JPG

I also wanted to not cut the dash and have good tunes. Not counting the cost of the radio but i got about $25 in materials. Very lightweight and even have some extra storage.

Attachments

• console2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 168
  • interior3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 157
  • interior.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 162
Throw a boom box in the back seat like we did in high school ha ha. Nah, I like your solution better. Someone stuck an Alpine AM/FM stereo in my 72 dash at some point (cutting it), with 2 nice speakers in the package tray, so it's staying. The damage is done, it looks good, may as well leave it.

-
Back