Cheap eating tonight

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
4.50 worth of chicken (.99 a pound) cooked in Franks Red Hot and season salt.

176D9360-526B-4AA5-8616-F715D46AE6CC.jpeg

Looks good! We had soup and sammiches.

im gonna make a breakfast casserole tonite

put a few hash brown patties in a oven dish, cook some sausage and pour it over, mix some milk in with eggs and seasoning, pour that on and toss some cheese on top

cook for about half an hour
and hope it comes out wel

im gonna make a breakfast casserole tonite

put a few hash brown patties in a oven dish, cook some sausage and pour it over, mix some milk in with eggs and seasoning, pour that on and toss some cheese on top

cook for about half an hour
and hope it comes out wel
Had to throw it back to broil the cheese, but almost ready to eat

20230323_112226.jpg

20230323_112250.jpg

20230323_164359.jpg

20230323_155152.jpg

I almost stopped at Bobs Subs today and got a steak and cheese sandwich when I had some running to do today. I figured I better cook up this chicken.

View attachment 1716067367
@pittsburghracer is this Bob’s a good place to get a really good steak and cheese in the Pittsburgh area?
Looking for any suggestions on good food stops around there.

Anything in the area considered a “must have” would be cool too. And anyone else familiar with food in that area feel free to post it.

@pittsburghracer is this Bob’s a good place to get a really good steak and cheese in the Pittsburgh area?

Anything in the area considered a “must have” would be cool too. And anyone else familiar with food in that area feel free to post it.

I had one that was ok and one that I ordered wrong that wasn’t as good. My problem is I like things so bare bones that for most people they wouldn’t like it. My son used to be-itch to me all the time about that. If you went there a dressed a sandwich properly it would probably be really good. I don’t even order dressing.

My wife and I have some good friends in the Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill) area, and every time we go there we try to make it to either Primanti Brothers for a sandwich, or The Capital Grille for dinner.

There used to be a really good deli that was just up the street from Jerry's Records that was good also, but for the life of me I just can't remember the name right now.

My wife and I have some good friends in the Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill) area, and every time we go there we try to make it to either Primanti Brothers for a sandwich, or The Capital Grille for dinner.

There used to be a really good deli that was just up the street from Jerry's Records that was good also, but for the life of me I just can't remember the name right now.

This is how weard I am. We have a Primants 10 miles from my house and I’ve never had a Primanti Sandwich. I’ve had a cheeseburger there but never the sandwich people drive 100’s of miles for. A sandwich with cole slaw and French fries on it just doesn’t make it for me. Lol

How about a really good cheesesteak sandwich?

You would love my one Facebook friend. He knew every good cheesesteak in pittsburgh and even had a place. He moved to Philadelphia so now he knows every good cheesesteak place there. Lol

Are those thighs? Dang w/ a delta of $3 I see why I haven’t been asked to make wings!
I like to bread ‘em and fry until almost done. Certainly browned up, then toss them in a bowl of Franks and a stick of melted butter! Then bake the lot until done. The size of thighs or drumsticks will screw up my times but I think I’m going to try it… thanks man!

I stole this from Facebook

PHILLY STEAK CHEESE FRIES
Ingredients:
1 lb steak, thinly sliced
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
8-10 White American Cheese Slices
20 OZ bag McCain Quick Cook Waffle Cut Fries
1 tbsp olive oil
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425°
Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
Add 1 tbsp olive oil.
Add the sliced steak to the skillet.
Sprinkle in the garlic salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
Allow the steak to fry until browned on all sides.
Remove the steak from the skillet and set it aside.
Reserve 1 tbsp of liquid from the skillet and discard the rest.
Return the skillet to the stove and add the sliced vegetables.
Cook the vegetables in the reserved liquid until the vegetables are cooked but the green pepper slices are still crisp.
Remove the vegetables from the plate and set them aside.
Remove the skillet from the heat and add a layer of McCain’s Quick Cook Waffle Cut Fries
Place 4 slices of the White American cheese on top and a layer of the steak and vegetables.
Repeat the layers and top with the remaining cheese slices.
Place the oven-safe skillet in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Enjoy! ❤

IMG_3819.jpeg

And if your wife wants to make you dessert

Indulge in the rich, decadent flavors of this Classic Chocolate Cake topped with silky Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

Ingredients:
For the Chocolate Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup hot water
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
5 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Directions:
For the Chocolate Cake:
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, combine the vegetable oil, buttermilk, hot water, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until smooth and well combined.
Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg whites and sugar.
Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (double boiler) and heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture reaches 160°F (70°C) or is no longer grainy to the touch (about 3 minutes).
Remove the bowl from the heat and beat the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature.
Gradually add the room-temperature butter, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
Once all the butter is incorporated, mix in the melted and cooled chocolate until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
White Filling
Ingredients:

1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz (225g) cream cheese, softened
Instructions:

Whip the Cream:

In a large mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside.
Mix Cream Cheese and Sugar:

In another bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth.
Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
Combine:

Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until fully incorporated and smooth.
Refrigerate the filling until ready to use.
Silky Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Ingredients:

5 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups (340g) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
8 oz (225g) semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions:

Prepare a Double Boiler:

In a heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites and granulated sugar.
Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture reaches 160°F (71°C).
Whip the Meringue:

Transfer the mixture to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
Whip on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture is cool to the touch (about 10 minutes).
Add Butter:

With the mixer on medium speed, add the softened butter a few pieces at a time, mixing well after each addition.
If the mixture looks curdled, keep mixing until it becomes smooth again.
Add Chocolate and Vanilla:

Pour in the melted and cooled chocolate and vanilla extract.
Continue to whip until the buttercream is smooth and silky.
Assembly
Bake and Cool the Cake Layers:

Ensure your chocolate cake layers are completely cooled before assembling.
Layer with White Filling:

Place the first cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand.
Spread a generous amount of the white filling on top.
Place the second cake layer on top and repeat the process if you have more layers.
Frost with Buttercream:

Apply a thin crumb coat of the Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Apply a final, thicker layer of buttercream, smoothing it out with a spatula.
Decorate:

Decorate as desired with additional piped buttercream, chocolate shavings, or other decorations.
Assembly:
Place one cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread a cup of frosting evenly over the top.
Add the second cake layer on top. Apply a thin layer of frosting (crumb coat) over the top and sides of the cake, then chill for 20 minutes.
Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting, smoothing it out with a spatula.
For an elegant finish, pipe decorative rows of frosting around the cake and garnish with chocolate curls or flakes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 12 slices

IMG_3820.jpeg

Hey John, I always look for that chicken thigh deal for .99lb also ! I brine/marinade mine with Frank's,lemon juice, worchestershire for a day or two and throw them on the grill and try to get the skin crispy. looks good

Thighs are great,,,,,but we have a local store that sells boneless thighs !

Ohh yeah,,,,,cheap and all meat,,,,they grill up like a meal from a top restaurant !
Man,,,I’m getting hungry just thinking about it,,,,Lol .

Tommy

Hey John, I always look for that chicken thigh deal for .99lb also ! I brine/marinade mine with Frank's,lemon juice, worchestershire for a day or two and throw them on the grill and try to get the skin crispy. looks good

Sale ads came out today. I’m not into drum sticks as much. Might be time for spaghetti later in the week

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_3822.jpeg

-
Back