Cheap eBay Intakes

-
They've been around quite a while, and are sold under different names by different resellers: Speedmaster, Crosswind, etc. They're all the same. Cast offshore, fits LA and Magnum heads. Ports are a touch small for 340/360 heads, but are a bit larger than 273/318 heads. They seem to match up to the Magnum port "pretty" well. Nothing earth-shattering performance-wise; but they're a decent, inexpensive way to get a 4bbl. on your LA or Magnum.

I used one on a Magnum headed 318LA I built several years ago. It was a good fit and finish and a nice casting. My understanding is though, that they are not all like that. Some are good and some "not so much". But it's like that with Edelbrock, too.

I used one on a Magnum headed 318LA I built several years ago. It was a good fit and finish and a nice casting. My understanding is though, that they are not all like that. Some are good and some "not so much". But it's like that with Edelbrock, too.
Thanks... I might take the gamble then... post some pics.

They've been around quite a while, and are sold under different names by different resellers: Speedmaster, Crosswind, etc. They're all the same. Cast offshore, fits LA and Magnum heads. Ports are a touch small for 340/360 heads, but are a bit larger than 273/318 heads. They seem to match up to the Magnum port "pretty" well. Nothing earth-shattering performance-wise; but they're a decent, inexpensive way to get a 4bbl. on your LA or Magnum.
Yeah... for some budget weight savings and a 4 barrel... not a terrible deal.

Thanks... I might take the gamble then... post some pics.
I wish I could. I never got to put it in anything. I sold it to a member here years ago. I'll see if I can find it on here. I did kinda a build thread on it. I don't know if the pictures or thread is still up or not, but I'll look. That was a while back.

I remembered that I couldn't find it here, but here it is on the B bodies site.

Used a Crosswinds brand on my Magnum. Has dual bolt holes for Magnum or LA heads. Had to drill out and tap for my AC bracket but there was a place for that. I gasket matched the ports to the intake gasket. Had to hog out a little for the bolts to line up. Been on for about 1500 miles with no issues. I bought a Professional Products intake (same) during last years Speedmaster black friday 40% off sale which should be coming up but don't remember the price. Free shipping. Good intake.

Used a Crosswinds brand on my Magnum. Has dual bolt holes for Magnum or LA heads. Had to drill out and tap for my AC bracket but there was a place for that. I gasket matched the ports to the intake gasket. Had to hog out a little for the bolts to line up. Been on for about 1500 miles with no issues. I bought a Professional Products intake (same) during last years Speedmaster black friday 40% off sale which should be coming up but don't remember the price. Free shipping. Good intake.
Good to hear... think I'm gonna go for it. Even if I have to tweak it, better than shelling out $400+ for a new Edelbrock. Especially on a beater.

I would get one from Speedmaster. If there is something not right with it at least you have someone to contact to make it right.
And if you can wait until the end of November, their Black Friday sale (as previously mentioned, assuming they do it again this year) gets you 40% off.

I bought one of these thru the link above and it arrived today. Very nice intake for the price. Nice finish and casting...especially for the price. Had a little bag full of plugs for whichever holes you don't use, along with some pipe plugs to close off some of the water fitting holes. Wasn't packed very well, but it arrived unscathed. I'm happy with it.

:thumbsup:

Check the plugs for fit. Mine were too tight. They are knurled and I had to file them down together them to go in. Soft aluminum so no biggie.

Just had one show up the other day, it was a blowout pricing ($230 to my door Canadian...they are usually around $300+ in Canadian dollars, plus shipping). I haven't put a gasket to it yet, but for the price it looks like a decent casting. I bought it from "A premium" on Ebay. Even used Air Gaps are more money then this was new these days, so in the name of budget, it should work well with what I have planned

What's should be checked on one of these cheaper knock offs? Just line up a gasket to make sure the ports aren't too far off?

What's should be checked on one of these cheaper knock offs? Just line up a gasket to make sure the ports aren't too far off?
That and I would also be checking the intake surfaces for straightness. Whether the bolt holes line up or not can obviously only be checked with the other intake already off the engine.

I could swear that Pittsburgh did a comparative flow test on these and they were TERRIBLE. Seems like they were far worse than a factory 4bbl manifold

It's not just the cheap knockoffs, sad to say. Even Edelbrock has had issues lately. They claim to have addressed it, though. Time will tell.
A basic visual inspection will reveal the major stuff- a gasket will give you some perspective. Don't expect even close to a perfect match, though (with ANY manifold), just use it to make sure things are consistent.

I believe @Johnny Dart has done some testing on these cheap knockoffs vs the real deal Edelbrock RPM and concluded that the performance of the real RPM was well worth the price difference. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. Maybe he'll chime in.

Yeah, you get what you pay for- but on a relatively stock or mild build street motor you'd probably not notice a whole bunch of difference. An RPM/AG would probably be overkill in that situation. The knockoffs are what they are- a cheap way to get a 4bbl. on a mild LA or Magnum.
As a side note, Speedmaster hired Edelbrock's former head of engineering this year- maybe SM is planning to kick things up a notch...

Would be interesting to see just where the eddy is better then the China Gap, or if its everywhere. Can't touch a used air gap around here for under $300 if you are lucky to find one, and with the new price being about $600 (CAD), the $230 to my door for a mild build was hard to pass up. I do plan to gasket match at the very least, and maybe try some actual porting on it, hopefully will be helpful and not harmful lol

-
Back