Cheap lower column bearing - floor shift conversion

-

goldduster318

Overzealous Car Modifier
Reaction score
I thought you guys might be interested in this.

I have always had a column shift column in my car...I had put some 84 Ram floor shift collars on it years ago, but I always felt that there was extra play as a result of the lack of a lower column bearing, and also I thought it was strange that the 3-on-the-tree and floor shift columns all had lower bearings.

If you have looked for them, a factory lower column bearing costs around $85 and is a small bearing in a cheap nylon cover.

I had to replace a few components in my column anyway, so I figured I would get the calipers out and see if I could find something off the shelf that worked well. Turns out my 1970 column had a 2" ID in the outer jacket and a 1" OD shaft. A quick search and I found this SA205-16 pillow block style bearing with a locking collar ( http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-304/SA205-dsh-16-1"-Insert-Bearing/Detail )...$6.53+Shipping...worth a shot.

So fast forward to today.

100_0307.jpg

100_0312.jpg

Excuse the crappy paint (I will fix it), but you get the picture. You will have to completely disassemble the column to install it but it goes on pretty easily. You'll want to put it farther to place it close to the coupler, reassemble the entire column and then adjust it into place against the clip and then lock the collar down. Its nice and smooth turning and the column feels great so far. I'll get it in the car soon.

Sooo nice! That should last 5,000,000 times longer than the crummy factory piece. And a sight cheaper too. Thanks for posting, and please let us know how it affects the road feel. Too cool

Yes, I did find out that these bearings are used in things like snowmobile track wheels and mower decks...Its a high speed bearing. It should be a one time installation.

I do think it will help a little bit with road feel compared to not having a bearing but that remains to be seen. I doubt this is any different than having a brand new OEM bearing other than being a bit more durable (which probably isn't necessary)

Is this for column shift only, or think it might work with floor shift cars? The floor shift seal/bearing is pretty weak/flimsy
thanks

It should work in the floor shift columns too. Just measure to be sure that the column shell ID is ~2".

This is real nice. This is what this site is all about. Great work.

I suddenly realized something. We need to find out how much vibration will resonate through this type bearing and up to the steering wheel.
May not be a noticeable difference.

My outer jacket is 2 5/16ths ID. 4-speed floor shift. 67 cuda. Shaft OD is 1"
So I need this type of bearing with 1"ID and 58.737 5 millimeter OD

I suddenly realized something. We need to find out how much vibration will resonate through this type bearing and up to the steering wheel.
May not be a noticeable difference.

It only couples the lower part of the steering shaft to the column housing. I'd guess it will make almost no difference. There's still a degree of freedom at the steering box coupler. I'm not sure how much dampening goes on with the stock style nylon one.

Well, now that i've driven the car, I can honestly say that it feels like the column is brand spanking new. The car has never driven this nice. There is no extra vibration in the wheel from this mod.

-
Back