Check out my crib!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
Literally, check out my crib. ha ha ha. My sister is having a baby and after looking at cribs she asked if i could make one. I said " hell ya i can build a crib, I can even put a gas powered mobile on it". Well she declined the gas powered mobile but I have accepted the challenge of building a crib.

NOW BEFORE ANYONE STARTS RECITING RULES AND REGULATIONS..... I HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK AND I DO KNOW WHAT THE FEDERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS ARE. I WILL BE ABIDING BY THEM ALL. LAST THING I WOULD EVER WANT IS TO HAVE AN INJURED INFANT ON MY CONSCIOUS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

here were my goals.

1. BE SAFE.

2. be sturdy.

3. bolts together so it can be moved easily and make it up the stairs to my sisters nursery.

4. be elegant yet make a powerful statement.

5. hopefully have the quality and beauty to become a family heirloom.

So here is what I have started so far.

I built the perimeter frame for the mattress. This will soon have a piece of 1/2" furniture grade plywood inlay-ed. It will be sanded smooth, edges radius-ed and will be sealed with a non toxic wood sealer.

I then started on the head board portion of the crib. I wanted to soften the look of the metal structure and create a small radius on the top of the headboard. I have a tubing roller but i only have the dies to roll round tube. so i modified a set of dies to work with square tube.

then i ran a piece of 2x1 thru it until i had the radius i wanted.

then i built the frame for the head board portion.

then i devised a plan to bolt the crib together and keep the bolts mostly hidden. when i do final assembly i will be using button head allen bolts so that there are no sharp hex heads to hurt the baby.

that is where i am now. I will be working on this daily and posting progress. stay tuned.

That looks like its going to be sturdy enough to last several generations.

thanks man. its actually all made of .065 wall tube so its not super heavy but it will be solid. it will have a canopy set up on top too that will look pretty jazy.

You should review the current Federal standards for crib safety to make sure you're compliant:

[ame]http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/101628/cribfinal.pdf[/ame]

I thought I was going to see your house when I read the title.

That is some awesome work as usual.

You are inspiring. .... you make me want to build something. .... what, I have no idea .... but something

I see several skill sets here! Imagination, Creativity, Fabrication skills off the chart! This will become a family heirloom to be handed down for generations. Congratulations on the new Nephew/Niece! You are doing a good one here!
DRO:)
Edit-You gotta do the motorized mobile! 12V electric motor-------just sayin----

got a little more done tonight. ran out of materials. but you can see how the head board is going to look with the pickets all the way across. the front and sides will look the same. I know it is too tall. I left the legs long on the bottom so that i could adjust height. It needs to come down about 4"

That is a very short crib! But wide! :D

Seriously, very impressive craftmanship.

By the way, looks to me like that standard only applies if you're planning on "plac[ing] [the] crib in the stream of commerce". As in selling it. Or otherwise putting it to use in public child care of some sort.

Not that you wouldn't want to make sure it is safe anyway ...

Being a welder/fabricator is like having a truck! Everyone want to use me lol

I used to take it as a complement that I got work from burning rod, now it's getting to be, 'yes I have a welder and am certified, no you can't use me'. Goes double for car work. But I can afford to have that attitude... Another home run, good work!!

that looks like a cage
I hope your as good with a brush as you are with a welder, or that kid will end up institutionalized ;)

That is a very short crib! But wide! :D

Seriously, very impressive craftmanship.

By the way, looks to me like that standard only applies if you're planning on "plac[ing] [the] crib in the stream of commerce". As in selling it. Or otherwise putting it to use in public child care of some sort.

Not that you wouldn't want to make sure it is safe anyway ...

This sounds cold hearted but I don't want to be responsible for any sort of injury to an infant. I used the rules that any manufacture would be forced to follow. I am just trying to abide by the rules.

that looks like a cage
I hope your as good with a brush as you are with a welder, or that kid will end up institutionalized ;)

lol, no brushes for me. It will be powder coated. don't you worry your sweet little ***. I am going to soften it up a bit. It will have a canopy up top. I will enlist the help of my mother to sew up a set of sheer curtains that will help to soften the look.

If this kid is anything like the ones from my side of the family he's gonna need the steel bars.

here is the look I am loosely going for:

This sounds cold hearted but I don't want to be responsible for any sort of injury to an infant. I used the rules that any manufacture would be forced to follow. I am just trying to abide by the rules.

I totally understand that and that's sort of what I was trying to convey in the last sentence. I was just trying to reassure you that that standard doesn't in a legal sense apply to you. That's all.

I totally understand that and that's sort of what I was trying to convey in the last sentence. I was just trying to reassure you that that standard doesn't in a legal sense apply to you. That's all.

no worries. I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Looks great so far.
I just went and measured my granddaughters crib and the distance from the floor to the lowest point on the mattress is 12". This give room for storage of extra boxes of diapers etc.
Also I assume you are making the mattress adjustable?

-
Back