Check Your Reproduction Throttle Cable Twice

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The previously installed throttle cable appears to have been not factory original, but fitment was correct (it could have been NOS, could have been reproduction. The problem began when I decided to remove some rust on the throttle cable bracket with a wire brush/electric drill without having removed the cable. The next thing I knew, the wire brush was wrapping up the cable in the drill, resulting in a non-servicable cable.

Year One to the rescue? Waited a month for the replacement cable to arrive via USPS. It looks like they got the length correct. However, both ends are wrong.

The hole machined for the carburetor attachment (in my case, the original Carter AFB for the '65 Formula S) is oversize, which will cause some slop in the operation. The old cable has a simple 3/16" opening/hole. The Year One cable is more than 13/64" and less than 7/32". God only knows what size that is (metric maybe?). But that is the least of my problems.

On the other end, the slot machined for the factory E type external circlip that affixes the cable to the bracket is wider than the old cable. But worse yet, it is machined way too deep and the factory circlip just falls off. I guess the main shaft diameter is not the same either. Why is it so difficult to copy a simple item in the year 2020/2021?

throttle cable repro 3.JPG

throttle cable repo 2.JPG

throttle cable repo 1.JPG

It's more than likely for a 67-up to before they went to a square attachment at the fire wall.Year One may say they have things for older than 66 but I've found it not to be the case many times.

I'd be looking for another supplier. The hole at the carb end shouldn't be a problem though. There won't any noticeable slop in the connection assuming you have the correct pin on the carb, a proper return spring, and the correct adjustment on the cable. The other end is a different story. You now need to find a better fitting E-clip and hope there's no water leak between the cable housing and the rubber grommet.

I had this same problem. I now have ordered a cable from a new A body that I know is 4" longer so I am hoping to just put a loop in the cable somewhere. If that new cable you purchased physically works you could just try to get a new circlip that fits the new cable.
The ball end on my new cable is too big to fit in the gas pedal, but if the other cable I ordered doesn't work I'll try to file the ball down a bit.

If you find a speedo shop they might be able to put a new cable inside. Also if near boat shops they might too.

They get Chevy crap right. There's no excuse for that kinda thing.

Not the Chinese fault, it's the companies requesting the product be manufactured that do not spec it correctly, or have quality controles.
Often times it is the fault of whoever makes the part, not like the vendor is going overseas to check on quality. One of the downfalls of the global economy.

Often times it is the fault of whoever makes the part, not like the vendor is going overseas to check on quality. One of the downfalls of the global economy
The vendors are only partly at fault because they could refuse to sell sub standard parts.

Ultimately the manufacturing company having the product made by a Chinese contract manufacturer is the one allowing cheap poorly made products, and we the buyers are partly to blame cause we keep buying the crap.

The vendors are only partly at fault because they could refuse to sell sub standard parts.

Ultimately the manufacturing company having the product made by a Chinese contract manufacturer is the one allowing cheap poorly made products, and we the buyers are partly to blame cause we keep buying the crap.
When china started making everything back when, my friends dad worked at a place making floor scrubbers. They made some stuff, shipped it over, then waited for the finished items to be shipped back. They had a 90% scrap ratio. It got fixed, but they were hurting for a while.

I guess the Chinese are cross-eyed. Whoops, not politically correct today, am I?
You can blindfold them with dental floss! Aw man. That is so wrong......do up a bike brake cable with some lead sinker weights crimped and melted on.

-
Back