-

briankaplan

greenduster
Reaction score
Do any of you know of a good way to check cam lift without tearing the
engine apart. I want to find out the lift without having to take the intake
off. Thanks Green Duster

340fourspeedDuster said:
Pull a valve cover. Mount a gauge and check on rocker.

i tried that one time and was coming up with WAAAAY low lift numbers. you have to account for lifter plunger travel. what i did is put a dial indicator on the pushrod end of the rocker, made sure the lifter was on the base circle, and compressed the lifter by pivoting the rocker toward it and measured the plunger travel. then i turned the engine by hand and checked lift. add the numbers together and that will be total lift.

unless you have solid lifters....then the above mentioned method will work correctly.

If I was to check valve lift,in a hydraulic cam motor,I would run the engine to normal operating temp,then remove the distributor,and with a priming tool and dial indicator then check the valve lift with the priming tool running while I check the valve lift.This will get you some what close to whats happening with your valve lift in a hydraulic cam motor,solids or roller do not suffer from this.The leak down of a H/lifter is very wide range from one company to a nother.Mrmopartech

I know this is late...but I just saw this. Pull the rocker shaft and measure the pushrod lift with dial indicator. add .010 to this (pushrod/lifter loss due to geometry SB only) and you will have lobe lift. Do the math, X 1.5 (ratio), the results will show advertised lift of cam. Good luck, Terry.

Thanks for the help guys. Don't have to go through hassles. I talked to the guy who built the motor in my car. Found out all the specs.
Hope every one had a great Christmas. Brian Kaplan aka Green Duster.

-
Back