Checking in from DC area

-

74Slant6

Reaction score
I just signed up from the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. I stumbled over this forum looking for seat interior replacement for a 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster.

The toy is a 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster with 225 cid Slant 6, California emissions, and electric starter--then a $25 "option" but required from the California emission package. It is gold in color with a white vinyl top. I am the second owner. I bought the car from the original owner's widow in October 2013 with full documentation proving it has just over 88,500 original miles. The build sheet was still under the back seat!

No work was required except for a tune-up and changing the fluids. Of course you really can't kill a Slant 6! The white vinyl top is still white. There is a dent in the front left quarter panel from an accident in 1984 that was never fixed. But that's a good thing since it is a dent and the original paint is still on the car.

It has an interior that sort of resembles the Dart Hang 10 interior but not quite. I'll post more about that in the interior forum (with pictures) because the front seat needs a little restoration for tearing material and saggy driver's seat.

Why did I buy this car when I want a 68-70 Charger with 426 Hemi in Plum Crazy Purple? I once owned a 1973 Gold Duster in sunshine yellow with the brown snakeskin vinyl top that turned green after years in the sun. That car met its demise in 1983 on a rain slick road in Athens, Georgia. As I hit my midlife crisis I wanted something "fun." Since the Duster was my favorite car from my youth (over a 63 Ford Fairlane 500, 70 Pontiac Catalina, and 82 VW Jetta), I found this and had it shipped cross country.

Now I go to local car shows with no expectation to win anything but to see people look at it with big smiles telling me, "My relative/neighbor/friend had one of these!"

And the user name? That's my license plate! It is my attempt at answering the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): What year? What engine?

Ok... gotta go back to work. More forthcoming.

But if you want to see pictures, you can go to http://s336.photobucket.com/user/coinsblog/library/1974 Plymouth Gold Duster

welcome to the site from ct

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 88
  • 027.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 054.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 87
welcome to the site. nice car!!! plenty of duster info here.

I lived in Athens back in the late 60's before I got shoved out into the real world.

-
Back