checking the compression.....

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Warmed up today, so I checked the compression on my "low dollar 318". I put a few hundred miles on it last year, and wanted to see how the rings/valves sealed.
6 of the cylinders read 140, while 1 was 138 and 1 was 142. I was pleased for 41 year old rings with 120k on 'em. Remember, it has thicker gaskets than the factory ones.

Real consistent, I bet it runs great.
Still need to get it tuned and tweaked. Never played much with it since getting it together. I got to make some time for it now because this will be my entry for the 318 race :)

Still need to get it tuned and tweaked. Never played much with it since getting it together. I got to make some time for it now because this will be my entry for the 318 race :)

This explains the dark plug. :D
Nice compression numbers for a motor with that many miles.

Nice vid. I still need to check my 440 that's on a stand and been out for ~4-5 years.

This explains the dark plug. :D
Nice compression numbers for a motor with that many miles.
I like the porcelain cardboard brown, but I am a little rich on that one. I did have about 3 plugs that looked just right, and about 3 others that were darker. I think my ignition spark is a little weak. I just replaced the cap/rotor which showed corrosion/build up. I'm using an ancient coil that's chrome (had a sticker that said hi performance) that was on the slant I pulled. It's got an Echin ECU, so who knows. I will continue to get it "up to snuff", and that may include re-jetting the carb.

-
Back