Choke vs. No Choke

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im thinking of building a holley with a proform main body for my daily driven 340...was originally going to use a thermoquad, but plans for nitrous are in the works and id rather use a dp for that route...my question is, how hard is it to start a car without a choke? My dad has no choke on his 440 dart and he says that he thinks it wouldnt make sense for me to remove the choke on a car that will be started early in the morning or late at night...however, the difference in power is tempting...i just dont think the neighbors or my girlfriends parents will like me too much when im throttling the car to keep it on late at night lol...or is really even that bad? just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this

I have a 340 with out a choke and it is a pain to keep it running first thing. When it gets to be even lets say 60 degrees out. A choke comes into play alot more than I thought. In the long run I plan on adding a choke.

The performance gain from not having a choke is a joke and only would show a need for a larger carb is a gain was found. IMO, a race car can do without it and everything else with few exceptions should have a choke just for the sake of ease when you get in it to go somewhere.

But, do as you wish..................

thanks so far for the advice! and rumblefish, i guess that makes sense...however, i dont know what i wish yet lol

If your choke is set up properly you wont loose any power, especially on a street driven car. Trying to run without a choke in Canada is a major frustration waiting to happen. Listen to your dad. :)

LOL well i know you guys are all right i guess i was just looking for someone to say its not so bad, but i guess it is....choke it is then! lol

-
Back