CHOOSING THE RIGHT TORQUE CONVERTER

-
Talked to a guy at Precision of New Hampton
Gave him the specs and he said $289 and $100 core and can ship it in 2 days when i'm ready.
Part # 5302SSAX. sounds real good to me but will check a little more.

what exactly is that? any specs on it? maybe call a couple other places that were mentioned and see what they spec out and compare.... that 289 sounds awful cheap..

what exactly is that? any specs on it? maybe call a couple other places that were mentioned and see what they spec out and compare.... that 289 sounds awful cheap..
sounds like an off the shelf Hughes converter....

From a kid who has blown up $300 torque converters..... Don't buy a $300 converter. and whats the core for? b/c its build using a used 40 year old case?
Its a 500 ft lb engine

He ask how I found out about them and told him Toolman sent me but he didn't know you I guess.
I used to sell to their employees. If you said a friend of Joe Scholbrock they know Joe but not me. Joe used to work there and lives in town. I know who they are but they really don't know me personally..

From a kid who has blown up $300 torque converters..... Don't buy a $300 converter.
Its a 500 ft lb engine
That's what I told him and he said if just street tires and only doing drag racing once a year with street tires he said it will be fine. But like I said just checking around I got time and more places to call. ATI is next.

I used to sell to their employees. If you said a friend of Joe Scholbrock they know Joe but not me. Joe used to work there and lives in town. I know who they are but they really don't know me personally..
I talked to Morry nice guy.

ATI will call me back tomorrow there not really building a 10" any more but will check what they have.

Strange when I had mine built even with Dyno sheets they asked for gearing , tyre size weight. But had it built down under.

If you were ordering a race converter they would have.
But wouldn’t a torque converter behave differently according to cars weight ? Especially a modified one.? Well Fred engine I wouldn’t be calling it stock. I understand he provided his Dyno results but but ! . Mines no race car far from it but what a difference from off the shelf and one made specifically from your combo. Mines is close to Fred’s numbers +- hp torque but runs like a rape ape. Can Cruise 25 mph and touch the throttle than bam. Even from a stand still no foot brake launch it’s instant 3000 stall only.

Last edited:
If you were ordering a race converter they would have.
Just going to comment on that I told him I was running a Gear Vendor over drive that put me at 3.22s in over drive and was not really going on the track but wanted something to cruse down the freeway so I can drive it from state to state and still be able to smoke the corvette on a short run. I am not looking for get out of the hole power or would never put the 904 in there I like the feel of all that torque and a light body car and Blue print gave me what I wanted.
I am to old to end up in the ditch. lol

But wouldn’t a torque converter behave differently according to cars weight ? Especially a modified one.?
He said weight would be a factor as well so did ATI.
3 more companies to check out.

everything plays a part in it. vehicle weight, tire size,gear ratio, GV overdrive unit, engine build and intended use..

not needing to know tire size would worry me.

does that cheep one have anti-ballooning plates and all in it?

Who builds their converters from scratch? Here's what Precision does: High Performance Torque Converters
ATI does.

I am not trying to speak ill of any vendors that i dont have experience with, I would just be very cautious in a $300 price range was the point i was making, as i know what weight, gearing, etc, can do to an overall package in reference to the converter. I think Fred is on the right track with shopping around. I blew up a "cheap" one when i was young and dumb. won't make that mistake twice.

everything plays a part in it. vehicle weight, tire size,gear ratio, GV overdrive unit, engine build and intended use..

not needing to know tire size would worry me.

does that cheep one have anti-ballooning plates and all in it?
From what I read it does but Like Johnny Mac said it seems to cheap for good quality.
But I will keep checking it out.

Talked to a guy at Precision of New Hampton
Gave him the specs and he said $289 and $100 core and can ship it in 2 days when i'm ready.
Part # 5302SSAX. sounds real good to me but will check a little more.
Is that for a off the self converter?
What trans are you running?

-
Back